tournament 19 new owner bilge pump working? Scuppers?

proftomda

Reaction score
Hi all:

New owner of a tournament 19. Bilge pump switch supposed to work automatically according to manual. Moving the bilge pump switch to the upper or standby position creates no noise and no water output. Now I'm so new that I don't even know where the bilge pump is located nor do I know where the main fuse panel is located. There is mention in the owners manual of a aux fuse panel under the dash. Also, what are the little buttons below each switch? Are they circuit breakers? The manual makes no mention of them.

Also noticed that the port and starboard cockpit scuppers do allow water in the boat when, the boat is at rest on the water. Im sure they are original. Should they be periodically replaced and where can I purchase them on line?

Thanks
Prof

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...

What year is your 19 Tournament? Depending on how old it is, it may have circuit breakers in the panel (the little black buttons below each switch.) If you press them, they reset the breaker.

The bilge panel is dead center, almost all the way astern. If your bimini stows under the jump seats and stern well, flip it up out of the way and look dead center...you will see it. Alternatively, you may have inspection plates in the motor well that you can remove to get to the pump.

Not sure where in ATL you are or where you keep the boat but feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to take a look at it with you. Additionally, there are a number of GW owners on this board who live in Atlanta and we try to get together at Lanier somewhat frequently....Bob's Cay, JiminGA, BOKAT, etc...

Again...welcome and congrats on the boat.

proftomda

Reaction score
Thanks Parthery for the reply:

My Tournament is a 1992 model and is currently kept at my house down in Peachtree City / Newnan area.

Your Tech info was great assistance. Those rubber buttons are circuit breakers... It looks like you cant pull the CB to remove power to the circuit, am I right? I located the are two inspection panels in the motor well that I'll pull up for access to the bilge area.

Any idea if I have one or two bilge pumps on my model? I have a similar output hole up front. Whats the purpose of the "standby" position of the bilge pump switch?

Thanks for the invite for the Lanier get togethers. Let me know times and dates.

Did I ask a question about my scuppers?

Thanks Prof

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The bilge pump should have a float switch, which when in standby mode, will activate the pump should the water level rise high enough. The easiest way to test it is to stick a hose down in through one of the inspection plates into the bilge and turn on the water. It won't take long for the water level to rise far enough for the bilge pump to kick on. Just don't stand outside the boat on the starboard rear side or you will get wet.

The front drain on the side of the boat is for the locker under the starboard side bow seat...its a cooler. You may also have a 3rd drain midships which would be for the livewell seat, if your rig was so equipped.

You can access the circuit breakers from behind/underneath, or you can remove the 6 or 8 screws and the entire panel can be lifted off the dash.

JiminGA left me a message earlier today about a visit to Lanier this weekend....I will likely be there as well. We would love for you to join us...

proftomda

Reaction score
Wow, great info, thanks again.

As soon as this rain lets up. I'm going to uncover her and check the float switch capability as well as recheck the manual on/off.

Any knowledge of the scupper deal? We were on the lake last weekend with motor off and I noticed there was water under both aft seats where the scuppers are located. Normal or do they need replacing?

I'm on call this weekend but I'll contact you when I have a better handle on my sched as the weekend draws nearer.

Prof

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hard to believe its raining...I'm 40 miles north of you and we've had some drizzle, but not much.

Look at the scuppers from the outside of the boat...you should see a flap inside the scupper, secured with a screw on top. The flap closes due to the pressure of the water from the outside, and this keeps the water out. When water drains from inside the boat, the flaps will let the water out.

If the flaps are torn or missing, water will come in through the scuppers...and a lot of it. I learned this lesson the hard way and scared a number of people on my 180 the first weekend I had it out....with 5 of us on board we were standing ankle deep pretty quickly.

The good news is the flaps themselves can be replaced and they are cheap - $3 apiece or so. Call a GW dealer and they will bill them to your CC and send them out...installation takes less than 10 minutes to do both scuppers.

As for parts, I used to order from Crockers...now that they are gone, I've had decent luck with both Vero Marine (ask for Boo) or Taylor Marine Center (ask for Dirk)....both are happy to help.

seasick

Reaction score
On my 208, there is one bilge pump. I suspect only one on you 19. There is a separate fuse near the battery for the pump. The breaker on the helm switch is for manual operation and is a separate circuit from the automatic operation. If I select manual op, I can hear the pump. You should also.
If you scuppers are below the water line, that is not normal for that boat. It usually means that there is more weight than original designed for.
Possible causes are : Heavier motor added, bracket added, water in the bilge, water in the hull, extra equipment aft, etc. First thing to look for is water in the bilge. Open the aft inspection plate to check. You should also be able to see the bilge pump and may be able to operate the bilge float switch.