Tournament 19 with Yamaha 130

dgaines

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I have been reading this great website for three months. Two months ago I became the proud owner of a 1986 Tournament 19. After transporting her from the Shenandoah Valley to central Florida I have been quite busy readying her for Gulf salt water.
Both the Grady and the Yamaha have relatively low hours. My first question of you guys concerns propellers. The Yamaha is 1988 130hp 2-stroke. It starts quickly and easily with good compression so I look forward to many more hours of service. The current propeller could be the original. It is a Yamaha 17 X 13 3/4" K SS. It has some severe dings so I am looking to replace it, as well as acquire a spare. I know the routine for running the boat with normal load to find out rpms she will turn. I am just wondering what props others are running?

Dick Gaines
1986 Tournament 19 "Sugar"
1988 Yamaha 130

bfrank

Reaction score
I have the same boat! Picked mine up in early May. What little projects are you doing on it?

dgaines

Reaction score
Hi Brian;
My first task was cleaning up the wiring. Most of my instruments didn't work so I traced them all out, redid the bad connections, unplugged and reconnected the others several times to overcome the corrosion, and surprise - they all work. My trim/tilt gauge was way off so I researched it, found the sending unit, tested and removed it. I have a new one on order. NOT cheap. I got rid of 4 or 5 extra wires that went nowhere and fastened all the wire bundles up nice and neat. The new anchor light was hot-wired to the battery. I don't quite understand why. The original anchor light wires were just cut off and hanging there. I tested them and they still operated with the switch so I connected the new light back to the original connections. Now I don't have wires hanging down into the cockpit. The original wiring diagram was helpful.
My boat had not been in the water since 2009. I pumped out all the old gas and ran it through several vehicles. I just finished refilling the tank with fresh non-ethanol fuel. I replaced the primer bulb too. My carbs had just been rebuilt by my seller as part of our transaction. Of course the Yamaha wouldn't start the first time I tried. I checked over the engine and found the 'marine mechanic' who rebuilt the carbs had left a nut off of one of the studs for the top carburetor. And it was the one fastening down the ground for the electric choke solenoid. Then also discovered the choke solenoid actuator was not connected. Sure makes you wonder how the 'marine mechanic' ran the Yamaha after rebuilding the carbs. Anyway, eyeball your motor for things like that. I had to change the plugs since the first attempt at starting oiled them up pretty good. That's when I discovered they were the wrong plugs. Moral here is don't assume replacing a part with the same new one is correct.
One of my motor well drain tubes has no flange left so I am preparing to replace it.
My back-to-back seat was real loose so I pulled it out to tighten it up. Discovered all the staples were rusted real bad. I have done some research and even looked at new Wise seats like mine at West Marine and discovered Wise is still using mild steel staples that will rust. I removed all my rusted staples and replaced with monel. However my original problem was the seat frame. It did not tighten up much. The plastic just doesn't hold up.
One of my GPS/fishfinders had an 1 1/2" hole in the top of the cockpit for the cables. The hole was partially covered with tape. After much deliberation I made a cover plate out of starboard. I routed out some grooves for the cables, screwed and caulked it down and now it looks good and is waterproof. Oh, and the hole was right above the non-marine CD player which now doesn't work.
The horizontal surfaces of my boat were covered with brown paint splatters. Used 3 quarts of acetone to detail all deck surfaces. (added by my wife) Subsequently had to schedule two fingernail appointments for a full set.?!*
I pulled out the glovebox to replace the missing lock assembly. At the same time I sealed the seams of it and the edges of the hole in the cockpit. And replaced all the hinge screws and retaining screws with new stainless of an appropriate size.
One of the previous owners (I am #4) had moved the Yamaha voltmeter from the dashboard down about 18" and mounted it in the cockpit bulkhead below the wheel. They mounted two switches in a jury-rigged holder in the voltmeter hole. I moved the voltmeter back and will mount the switches directly in the duratrim dashboard. Now I have a 2 1/2" hole to fill on the bulkhead. It is a lot of fun trying to find replacement light bulbs for my Yamaha dash instruments. They are the little pinch bulb A12V1.7W by Toshiba. It turns out several motorcycles including BMW, Triumph and Honda (specifically CBR250) used the same bulb. I have one ordered from a motorcycle shop to see if it is the same.
But I can see the waves in my future. The projects are coming to an end and I now have confidence that most everything works. My knowledge level about the Tournament 19 has increased greatly. And Sugar looks great. She and the Yamaha both have low hours. Now I just need to finish the waxing.
I've done an awful lot of research so if you can't find out something just ask and either I or someone else on this forum can help.
This really is my wife's boat. She was raised around motorboats as I was. When she named her "Sugar" she said we could do the graphics in hot pink. I think I had my first heart attack then. She since has relented and the graphics will be dark blue and green. I will post a picture when completed.

Regards,
Dick Gaines
1988 Yamaha 130

timberxx

Reaction score
Where in the valley did you pick up your boat? Is lived in Charlottesville for years.

I did a lot of boating in lake Anna. I was one of two Gradys on the lake.

dgaines

Reaction score
The boat came from Broadway, VA. It was covered with Potomac River Basin permits.

Dick Gaines
1988 Yamaha 130

bfrank

Reaction score
dgaines said:
Used 3 quarts of acetone to detail all deck surfaces. (added by my wife) Subsequently had to schedule two fingernail appointments for a full set.?!*

:lol:

Nice to here she's helping you. We've got a 9 month old baby so my wife's participation level is very limited.

Sounds like you're getting a good bit done. Any idea why they moved the volt meter? That just doesn't make sense.

Wrestling Coach

Reaction score
Let me jump in here. I found this 1983 Grady Tarpon locally. It was in such great condition I could not pass on it. It's an I/O with a Mercruiser 470. These engines have a few issues. Charging system, cooling system, cam seals at the top of the list. But I'm willing to deal with that. I converted from a points ignition to a Pertronix system. I installed a marine alternator kit to eliminate the stator/regulator system. This is a four cylinder aluminum block with a Ford 460 iron head. That can be an issue if you get it overheated. Blows head gaskets because of iron head on aluminum block.
DSC03119.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03115.jpg

dgaines

Reaction score
It looks like the voltmeter was moved to make way for a very jury-rigged round panel to hold two switches for the new Lowrance GPS/fishfinder. The two switches are now mounted by themselves on another part of the dashboard and the voltmeter is successfully returned to the correct place. Looks much better.
I am a happy camper! I finally satisfied myself that all was well with my Yamaha. On her sea trials I got 38.5 mph by GPS at 5400 rpm on my 1988 Yamaha 130. The boat was lightly loaded, but I am satisfied. My remaining issues with the Yammi are no remote water pressure indication and trim/silt sensor. I disconnected the water pressure tubing at the engine and had 4 feet of spray using the yard hose at idle. I have cleaned out both ends of the tubing and the guage inlet. And yes I am aware that I probably won't have pressure indication on the yard hose. The tubing doesn't appear to be kinked anywhere. However it has had an extra length spliced in to it. When I was running sea trials I had some pressure indication at the beginning but then one of the splice connections blew out. I have ordered a whole new tubing assembly, nuts and all, as I never did like the splice idea anyway.
As far as the trim/tilt sensor I only had a small amount of indiction on the guage. I have ordered a replacement sensor for $160. Whew! When ordering this I was again reminded of the adage - get the correct part not a replacement for what you take off. The sensor had been replaced by someone, but was a three wire. My engine definitely came with a four wire as the harness from the guages has four connectors and the Yamaha parts breakout shows four wires.
It looks like my torque trim tab is set correctly. At speed with the Yammi midships she held a straight course. It definitely is harder to steer in one direction than the other. I am going to check and lube the steering shaft.
Does anyone have any ideas on restoring my Grady White Tournament 19 name plate?

Dick Gaines
1988 Yamaha 130