Tournament 192 Kicker and Downriggers

ljeffe

Reaction score
I plan to install an 8hp 4 stroke kicker motor on my boat and would like to hear from someone who has done this. Which side, port or starboard and which type of motor bracket. I also want to install Scotty downriggers on the boat and need to know which method of installation works best. Scotty has two main methods of installing their downriggers, on the gunwale or an L bracket that mounts to both the side of the gunwale and the top of the gunwale. Which works best for the 192?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Kickers are traditionally mounted on the port side of the centerline. This lets the boat steer a little straighter despite the off center location of the kicker. The reason has to do with the clockwise rotation of the propeller. If you only use the kicker for low speed trolling, the side that you use shouldn't matter much.

Sorry, but I can't recommend a particular mount other than to suggest the heaviest duty lift type mount that you can find.

Mounting Scotties on Gradies can be a challenge. If you have less than a little over 4" of clearance inside of your gunwales, you won't be able to use the top of the gunwale tilt mounts. Even if you have enough clearance for proper through bolting, you might not be able to tilt the downrigger (at least that is the case on my 226). But since the 192 doesn't have a bolster pad inside the cockpit, you could be OK. The L-shaped mounts should work in any case as long as you have around 4 1/2" of clearance to bolt them on the inside of the gunwales. You should use a 1/4" aluminum backing plate with either installation.

ljeffe

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll let you know how things work out.

cedarholm

Reaction score
I put a Yamaha T8 kicker on my Escape 209.

I went with a welded aluminum bracket from the the guy above and got the T8 with power trim and tilt.

Works well and no worries about a bouncing bracket or loss of the kicker.