Tournament 205 vs 225

HBH

Reaction score
I am about to buy a new grady and can't decide between the 205 or 225 tournaments. To make even more difficult, Grady has brought back the 19 tournament! Also, if the tournament will allow me the fishing pleasure I got from the old centerconsole Boston 18" and equal to the comfort my wife is going to enjoy with the dual console. I will be in the Wilmington and Morehead city coastal areas of NC. Would like to troll umder normal conditions outside plus enjoy coastal cruizing. Also will haul back and forth to Central NC. I also want to beach on sandbars and be able to go in smaller water so I was leaning towards the 205, plus eaiser to tow. But, being a former sailor, one always wishes he had more boat once he is out there. Any experienced tournament owners and anyone able to offer advise on which tournament to get as well as convincing experience on day fishing outside when its gets a little ruff?

Thanks for all your comments.

gradywhichone

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have a 225 - LOVE IT. Since we haven't had the other, I can't comment, but the 225 is terrific. It is a great fishing boat, and its perfect for our 5 person family. We often take friends and there is room and comfortable seating for everyone. We troll with it regularly in the Long Island Sound and it does great. The 250 provides plenty of power.

Good luck with your shopping and your decision!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another thought - the full width swim platform is a real plus with the kids. There is a fresh water shower spray back there and we can hose them down as they come back into the boat. We back her in to islands all the time with a bow anchor out and then we carry a stern anchor up on the beach.

Best... Mike

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We had a 1998 192 and loved the boat. On good days have fished 45 miles offshore of Ponce Inlet and Sebastian Inlet Fl and the Florida keys. She was fuel sipper for sure and great family boat.

We moved up to a 228 this spring because while the 192 was and now is a great dual console boat, it had its fishing limits for us. Space was always a premium for a family of 5. We considered the 225 and it was next to the 228 in the showroom. I have a disabled child and appreciated the head being in the cabin and it was easier getting him in and out in the 228 versus the 225 port side head compartment.

While many suggest the cabin is too small and some may suggest it is waste of space on a small boat, however, my kids love it. we have overnighted - camped out on the boat. I miss my 192 for water sports, even with the trim tabs and so forth, it is harder to get the sweet spot speed for wake boarding and so forth with our 228 and I suspect the same for the 225 too.

In the end i love the full stern and full swim platform both 225 and 228 offer, the freshwater shower is nice.

However, I really like the boat's increased fishablity in terms of seas and distance plus the spacious cockpit...significantly more space than the 192.

When I was in your shoes in March I went bigger and have no regrets. Good luck with your choice. Oh, we trailer our boat out of the Smokies to the coast, to mountain lakes and places inbetween without any head aches.

HuskerBoater

Reaction score
I have a 205 with a Yammie F150. First of all, I love the boat. It is great for our family of 4. We tube, cruise, and I fish a lot out of it...on the Chesapeake. After I got familiar with the Bay, I was/am amazed at how well the 205 handles moderately to pretty rough water. It was our first Grady and I am more than pleased with the boat.

That being said, one of the reasons I chose the 205 is because I fish a lot and keep the boat on a trailer. It is actually REALLY easy to launch and retrieve the boat by myself. A 225 is pushing it for 1 person ease. Plus, when we bought our 205, the prices of the 225 were still significantly more than the 205 (there is much less difference in the used boat market price now). I'm sure I would get the 225 if I bought today...mostly because I am ready to move up and I'm sure my family will get larger. Shoot, I would probably look seriously at the 275. We don't ski much or wakeboard so a 275 might be great for me (offshore capable).

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either boat. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure I would be crazy about the bracket on the 225, but the full length swim platform and the full length transom are sweet tradeoffs. The F250 would be nice too.

Good luck. Great prices right now. PM me if I can help in any way.