Tournament 223 vs 225G, need input

tpratch

Reaction score
Hey all, new member of your forum.

I'm slowly working my way towards my first boat purchase, and went to the Jacksonville Boat Show last weekend to see what's out there. I spent some time with a lot of the manufacturers there, but after checking out the Tournament 275 and Canyon 336 that were on display I fell in love with the Gradys.
I'm finding the price for a new boat hard to swallow, so I am trying to get the best boat possible on the used market. I am strongly considering the GW Tournament 223 and 225G. Am I correct that these are essentially the same hull? Any input from current & previous owners of either of these two models will be greatly appreciated.

Usage will be mixed; cruising with family on the St Johns River, as well as offshore fishing & diving.

Thanks for your input.

lowcountry

Reaction score
I have an '03 Tournament 225 with a Yamaha 225 four stroke. I have enjoyed every minute on this boat and would venture to say it is as close to perfect as you can get for all-round use. With a 16" draft you have no problem with inshore fishing and family beach days. I mostly go offshore
- approx 35 miles from the harbor entrance and could go farther if I wanted to put in a longer day. The 96 gal gas tank is more than adequate. A typical day for me covers 110 to 130 miles dock to dock and I use about 1/2 a tank of fuel, depending on sea conditions. I have never felt unsafe in the 225 - even when encountering big rollers when wind vs tide at the harbor entrance. I do limit my offshore excursions to waves of less than 3ft and factor in steepness and wind direction - however, this is mainly a comfort issue.
By the way, I'm in Charleston and my 225 is for sale ( I have another Grady on order). Call me if you want to talk.
Mike
843-216-5572