Tournament 225 electronics

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You guys have an awesome site going here ...I'm New to the site, and new to Grady. Just bought a 225 tournament for spring delivery. We're WAY excited about it.

For electronics - the color combo units that do it all in one seem to max out at about 5" screen. If you want a bigger display, you need a sounder and a chartplotter that talk to each other. Is this true?

I have talked myself into Garmin's 4000 series GPS/Chartplotter. They are clearly terrific, but no 10" screen available till later in the year. The 8 inch seems too small and doesn't have the alpha/numeric keypad. The 12 inch screen fits, but ain't nothin' else going in there. I thought I would install the VHF below the throttle lever in the face of the bulkhead. Its a little low. I think that is the only option with any screen bigger than 5 inch.

If the vhf goes in the electronics box, you are back to the 5" combo unit gps/fish finder because that is all you are going to fit.

Any tournament owner's want to share what you did?

Also - this boat has the 250 motor. Anybody happy or sad about that? Is the stern going to ride to low at my mooring? Are my scuppers going to be under water?

I would be very grateful for any comments - thanks all!

Mike

GWcpa

Reaction score
I've got a 4208 flush mounted on my 205 and am very happy with it. I've never thought it was too small, even with a split screen sounder/plotter.

I would recommend the GSD22 if you fish. Great unit.

I have my VHF cut in the console fairly low, but have no problem with its location.

Congrats, I like the 225 quite a bit. It performs well with the F250.

A link to a pic of my boat with the 4208:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/photos/show ... toid=28171

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks GWcpa (I was trying to figure out the initials - Are you Grady White's Certified Public Accountant? :D )

That info is very helpful. I think the 8 inch screen would be pretty good - I am used to a 5" lowrance...but after you buy the GSD22 and you accept the VHF down low, I was thinking that you might as well go as big as you can. The cost difference doesn't seem that high. (at least from the folks at Consumer Marine.)

Thank you for mentioning that you are ok with the VHF below. That had me worried.

Thanks also for the positive comment on the 250. Since I haven't gotten to play with my new toy yet, but I have gotten to write a bunch of checks... I keep thinking of things to worry about. I looked at every similar layout at many boat shows before making a move. I sure hope I got this right! ...beeing a Grady owner may be rewarding, but it ain't cheap!

In general are you happy with the Garmin stuff? Did you use a through-hull transducer for the GSD22? The B60 is low profile and internally tilted 20 degrees to make up for the deadrise. I am dying to hear from anybody who has done that...

I really appreciate the commentary! BTW, my dealer has a 205 that they have awl-gripped navy blue - it is gorgeous.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey - I just checked out your photo link - Looks Great!

The 225 has this electronics box that is a little different. In a way, your layout makes more sense.

Thanks again.... Mike.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Slingshot,

Oh, and welcome to the forum. I don't work for GW. Just a CPA who has owned a few.

I know the helm layout of the 225 is quite different than a 205. If you can fit the 12" I know you will be happy with it. I'd try to flush mount it if possible, however there is something to be said about having it out of site if you plan to wet slip your boat.

I am assuming that the 225 still has the electornics box with the plex cover.

I have a transom mounted tri ducer. It hold the bottom at almost all speeds.

I like the Garmin. I've had several units in the past and am accustomed to the operation. The 42xx display is much better than the 32xx or 22xx previous generation equipment, but I hear that the new Furuno plotters take it up another notch. Have not see one.

The F250 is a great motor. You should get good economy and comparable speed to the 205 with the same motor. It is a great match for that hull.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes the 225 does have the plexi window over the box. I have been assuming that means I don't have the option of flush mounting, as there doesn't seem to be anywhere to do it.

Bythe way, the minutes you spend replying to these kinds of questions are SO HELPFUL. Thanks alot.

We have 3 little ones - oldest is 5-1/2. I think the boat will be a blast for us. My boy caught his first striper this last summer on out old 18 footer. I think we are in for a good summer!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Don't write any more checks until you get the boat! When you do, sit in the seat with a tape measure and the dimensions of the units you're interested in. You'll be surprised how options will jump out at you ... :wink:

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good Advice - I put about a third down. The dealer has been very low pressure about the money. I'm not sure when he wants the next check, but we agreed I wouldn't make final payment until delivery. Do you know what is considered normal for payment schedule?

I actually did take a tape measure to the NY boat show... but I might have to go see the boat again. I was hoping to have the electronics installed over the winter, so I can deal with the boat yard guys when they are not going crazy trying to get everyone else in the water.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its an easy swap to remove the plexiglass door and fabricate a piece of Starboard to cover up the opening. I did the same job on my 226 and was able to fit a 10" screen in there easily.

I've been looking at 225s as well... seen a couple that have basically devoted the e-box to a 10 or 12" screen with a flush mount. The VHF was then mounted flush below the steering wheel. My 205 had the VHF mounted low and I got used to it. Here is what it looked like...

S3500026.JPG

Congratulations and best of luck with the new boat....

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Parthery - I bet the 205 was a blast, right? I will talk to the dealer about surface mounting over a starboard panel. That makes all the sense in the world.

Obviously I can't comment yet on the joys of owning and using a 225, but I am pretty sure from alot of boat shows and internet time that there is no better layout and construction combination out there. I hope it is as much fun to own as I think it will be. Good luck in your search....

striped bass

Reaction score
Take a look at the GARMIN 440S which has it all: GPS, Plotter, and DS. Great color and clarity. There is room left over in the console to fit the VHF and a regular am/fm radio. I don't like to place electronics outside the enclosed console because the weather and elements deteriorate them very quickly.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That looks like a nice unit - and I think I do want to keep the chartplotter inside the plexi cover. I would like a bigger screen though...I think I am comfortable with an icom radio flush mounted below. The boat will have a canvas mooring cover over it, so the weather exposure to the radio will only occur during actual boat use. Hopefully that won't be too bad.

striped bass

Reaction score
I agree on the larger unit. Last month I was where you are now. But, the color and resolution is so good on this unit (actually all Garmin units) that the 440S was more than adequate. Check it out at a West Marine store where you can actually see it and demo the graphics.
External VHF unit: I find that when moving about the boat Captain and crew sometimes knock the speaker off the cradle. The catch on the speaker easily breaks off as well. Just a few comments for your consideration.
Enjoy your vessel!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You must mean to go "back" to the West Marine! (since I have already been there about a million times... :wink: ) Its a good idea and I will definitely go look at the other Garmin units again. I hear you about knocking the radio components around also.

These observations are very helpful - thank you.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So I ordered a Garmin 4210. Wow they seem spectacular. I was amazed at the 5000 series touch screens, but I felt they would eventually betray me in an open boat. (salt all over the touch screen, etc.) So I went with the buttons. Nice equipment though. Extremely understandable to use.