tournament 225 winterize

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
Bummer, end of my first season. looking for tips on getting the anti freeze rv pink stuff into the livewell and raw water washdown system. The fresh water looks easy. For the raw and livewell should I disconnect hoses in the bilge and pour in? Must be an easier way. Saw one post about using a toilet plunger set up and sucking it up through the intake but I will probably have to do this while the boat is in the water before going back on the rack. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

seasick

Reaction score
I never treat my livewell, I just run the pump until is stops spitting water. The same for the washdown, although I am thinking that this year I will remove the inlet hose for the washdown pump and connect a temp feed line from a bottle of antifreeze and let it run through the system. It' supposed to be a cold winter.

I am interested in what others do.

Stonewall

Reaction score
That Toilet Plunger thing is called a "Fake a Lake" I have used it for the last 3 years for my Raw Water Washdown, Live Well, AC and Generator. It works perfectly. I got mine at Boater's World. I believe they are about $30-40.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Open the washdown bib valve and the sea cock, and leave them open, after you run it dry. I presume your bib is higher than the pump which is higher than the seacock.

catch22

Reaction score
I just replied to another post about this - http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9003

Imo, just draining it, is not enough. You still may have water trapped in the pump head, strainer and any under deck hoses, I've seen washdown/livewell pumps fail after winter lay-up. One of them was brand new, (the previous September). The pressure switch was cracked, my guess would be it was from freezing. I think it's best to flush any water system with ant-freeze.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Catch, I read it, I dissagree.

If the components are aligned vertically above each other and the sea cock is open and the valve at the hose is open, mother nature will do her thing. Can't fool with mother nature, ultra dependable.

As far as hoses go, especially elastomeric ones, if both ends are free bore by opening valves to the atmosphere or an emply space, whatever water is left in the belly of a hose run will push out both ways to make up the added volume while the fluid is being transformed to a solid, long before it can stop and expand enough to do anything to the hose, at least in the climates we live in.

Gravity draining the system as I described creates massive voids for any residual left not to to reap havoc. Can't leave that sea cock closed though.

Of course there's nothing wrong with doing more as a precaution or to keep the marina guys working, I do it all the time. I see advertised a kit for winterizing outboard motors too, even shows the setup with the hose and tank on the outboard motor of a trailered boat - I'm sure they do well in sales, me I'll pass.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Has anyone tried just with a compressor and about 5-7 lbs of preasure, instead all the husle with antifreeze ?

When I had an RV, we used to do that. If I had a hot water heater I'd to that again, as well as pop the tank plug and siphon the bottom out. With the raw water I just pop the hose off the seacock and put it in the gallon jug of anti-freeze. Then run the pump and flush the washdown, then the livewell.

Brad1

Reaction score
See my reply to Brian's post about how to winterize a washdown. Very easy (yet thorough) procedure.