Towing A MARLIN 300

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of a Marlin on a triple axle trailer? I am trying to get an idea of how it will fit on a trailer or any trailering tips. My Marlin is a 2005 model so I would look to see Marlins from 2004 until current. I am looking to purchase a 15,000 triple axle Shoreland'r trailer. Any help would be great.

ahill

Reaction score
I came upon a 30 Marlin in Stuart, FL that the owner routinely trailers from Jacksonville all the way to the Keys.
Has a Ford 250 diesel sez its a big boat to pull but he's used to it.
Didn't inquire about oversize DOT permits but you should as not having them will void your insurance.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Some input on weight:
Boat: 8221#
Motors (assuming F250 or F225): 1200#
Fuel: 306g at 6lbs 1836#
Water and head: 45gal (inc water heater) and 10gal, 300#
Gear est #400
So you are just about 12000# to be safe. The trailer looks to be sufficient.

The beam is listed at 10'7" so you will require a special permit and as previously stated, this is a no brainer due to insurance and legal potential issues.

I have seen them towed around in yards not on the road. It is a big boat out of the water, not a typical trailerable boat. It can be done if you have the right rig and trailer. Not something I'd like to do with mine, but to each his own.

Good luck!

gerrys

Reaction score
P0000693.jpg

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Gerrys,

Great picture. How tall is the boat on the trailer? Where are your VHF, GPS, and radio antennas? I thought about buying a trailer for my boat, but I would have to remove to many things to keep the boat at a reasonable height.

gerrys

Reaction score
you can get a view of one of the gps...upper right on the hard top. another was mounted on the starboard side. The vhf antenna was mounted on the starboard side of the caabin and folded down in the pic. Total height (from memory) was around 14' 3". I sold the boat a few years ago.
P0000696.jpg

dgreen1069

Reaction score
Great pictures! It's impressive how big the Marlin looks out of the water. When I bought mine it already had 24' outriggers. I added a 4' open array antenna, which is in addition to the VHF and FM radio antennas. It didn't take long for me to realize that my boat wasn't going to see a trailer anytime soon. It would be nice to be able to haul it wherever I like though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can you say "Big Sled"... That must look big coming down the highway.

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The best analogy I heard of a Marlin on a trailer is an "ant pulling a ham sandwich"! LOL (Thanks Gene)