towing a tender

Roarque

Reaction score
Karen and I are going into Desolation Sound for a week this Sept and I want to take along a 15 foot Whaler. Plan is to anchor the Gulfstream and use the Whaler to explore and to run into port for fresh food. The journey to Desolation will take 2 days and I plan to tow a tender this size. Other than the fuel issue can anyone foresee problems with this strategy?

Greg

hangman1176

Reaction score
I have a 22-8 with a 225 yamaha. I wondered the same thing, towing a 13 whaler tender with a 30hp. I have yet to try it on a calm day just to see what or how it reacts. I will post in the next week to see how it goes.

Roarque

Reaction score
Hangman

Your Whaler would be my first choice but I already owned the 15 Whaler when the Grady came into my life. I'd be very interested in your insights into how well the 13 Whaler tows. You also might want to check out a website called continuouswave.com to find out from experienced Whaler owners about the sea worthiness of the 13. I suspect its a very stable dingy.

Let me know

Greg

gradydriver

Reaction score
Towing will be no problem if you get the boat far enough back....make a harness like you would use for skiing....let out enough line to get the boat in the 'Sweet spot" of calm water and try it out....we tow my 17 Montauk all the time....try it on a calm day first...if it's big it gets nerve racking.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
I tow my 15 Whaler/70 Yamaha behind my 36' Pacemaker a lot with no issues. I loose about 1-2 knot but that is about all. The Pacemaker cuts a lot of the waves but there are still times the whaler will get out of the water even at 20 knots. Just tow with a long rope from the center (like a ski harness). Be careful not to wrap the tow line in the props and keep the whaler engine straight and in the water (mine does tend to make a very slight turn by the time I get to my destination). One thing I do find consistantly is that starting the whaler after the tow will usually take a little longer than normal but I've never had any issues with a no start. I also try to have someone on hand to take the whaler while anchoring or tying to a dock just because it is easier.

Hookster57

Reaction score
I was thinking about trying to tow my jet ski behind my Marlin about 20 mile out to a sand island around here. Is that a good idea? Or not :)

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Call it a pain in the ass ! I've towed everything imaginable up and down the sound. The best was a hard bottom inflatable, the worst a 13' whaler. It was in the air more than on the water. We thought, what a way to go to the lagoon's and "Town" (Campbell River, Lund, Cortez, Refuge Cove, etc.) Not worth it !
Crosssing Georgia Straits I spent more time worring about the "dinghy" than enjoying the trip. We go to "town" in our 232 and have inflatable Kayaks on the hardtop for exploring the lagoons. If it's something you "have to do", get floating line or you will get it in the prop at least once! Have a great trip and keep a watch for "Hocus Pocus".
Jim