Towing...what tow hitch are you using?

Tunaboyyy

Reaction score
I recently got the Class V Putnam XDR towing harness put on my Duramax. I would like to throw on a class V adjustable hitch but I have only found the class IVs? The only class Vs I have found are the fixed shank type and since I do not know what I'll be towing yet I did not want to guess at the drop that I'll need.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/adjustable.aspx

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...hitch/tow-stow

What tow hitch are you using to pull a 25 to 28 foot walkaround?

I have not purchased a boat yet but it is long overdo so I would like to have my truck dialed in before the sea trial so I can see how a potiential boat will go down the road with my truck. It may affect my purchasing decision between the 25 and 28.

Thanks all.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I use a tri-ball with adjustable height, but I think it is only good for 10k. Unless you are built like a brick sh!t-house try to get one in aluminum. Mine is solid steel and weighs almost 50 lbs!

ahill

Reaction score
The drop, or in my case rise, depends on bumper height and trailer wheel diameter.
You want the trailer to be as level as possible especially with tandem and triaxle trailers.

bc282

Reaction score
for 25' boat i'd get an aluminum rapid hitch (adjustable) unit (rated to 10k and 1k or 1.5k tongue wt); these are great hitches and since i have a variety of trailers and even ball sizes, this works great.

for 28' boat i'd only get a solid fixed height/drop hitch rated for a min of 10-12k.
The HD adjustable hitches for 10K+ are just too heavy and bulky IMO and fairly expensive, spend the time to find the correct rise or drop and get a one piece solid hitch--this is what i use on my 282 Sailfish.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Class V hitch
18,000# ball mount (solid 2.5" with 1.5" drop or so)
25,000# ball

2007 282 Sailfish, total weight on trailer, loaded = 12,500#