Toyota Tacoma Experience?

capeguy

Reaction score
I'm looking at a new 4dr Tacoma, V6 4WD. Anyone have any experience with the Tacoma? I will use it to tow my Sportsman (about 3,500lb total) and will get the version with 5,000 lb rating. Also will use it surf casting on the beach and to transport 3 small children (8,5,3). It will not be the main vehicle for the kids, so I think it will fit them for my needs.

I've heard the seating and brakes are questionable?? I'm about 6'1" and I've heard seating may not be best.

Thanks!

jfmagana

Reaction score
I have one and I love it. Great Toyota engineering. This is my third Toyota truck and I always get my monies worth. Only minor complaints I have is that the fit and finish is not as good as when the trucks were made in Japan....mine was made in Fremont CA and it a had a handful of stupid little detail things that were messed-up (e.g., they installed the seat belt in the back backwards), but I had all that stuff fixed and have put on 150K+ trouble-free miles.

grady 306 bimini

Reaction score
my personal preference is a chevy silverado 1500 or 2500HD. i like the crew cab or extended cab these trucks are very reliable and comfortable for your use you would only need a 1500 crew cab or extended cab Good luck
TW

mhff34

Reaction score
I have a Tundra, and wished I had bought Tacoma. The tundra is to big but Toyota definately knows how to make a quality vehicle although I agree they are not as good as in the past when they were made in Japan.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure of your model names but by the sound of it this is what we call a Prado if its a wagon or a Hilux if it's a pickup.
Our vehicles are still made in Japan i believe and have excellent build quality.
I am on my second toyota landcruiser and between both i have done over 200,000 miles with the replacement of a condensor (warranty) and power steering seals replaced.
Reliable , solid, well finished, quiet, and we get good resale on toyota's here. In fact Toyota's are the most popular vehicle make in australia for some 5 years.
Sorry if i sound like I've been brainwashed but they just do all that i require in an easy way.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
What model year Tacoma are you considering? I had an 02 with their TRD package 4wd crew cab and the 3.8 liter V6. Never towed anything with it, but we did have a new FJ Cruser with Toyota's 4 liter V6 and we towed our 192 and utility trailer with ease here in the mountains. The 4 liter motor and the 5 speed tranny they coupled with it towed well.

I traded both for a new Tundra with the crew max cab with 5.8 liter v8, tow package. I love this truck.

blackgrady

Reaction score
you might want to look at the frontier...i looked at both trucks before buying the frontier. the nissan has much more power than the tacoma, and will readily tow more with ease (titan transmission and boxed frame). My 4wd auto crewcab frontier is rated at 6300 but has pulled my 25' trophy pro when no other rig was available. I have my truck on the beach weekly, and pulled out a Wrangler yesterday :D

The Frontier new will run you about 5 to 6k less brand new as well.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm biased with my Duramax crew-cab, so a 1500 crew would be my first pic. You could get by with the smaller motor. Right now you can get 0% for 60-72 months plus deep discounts.

But yeah, if you don't want a chevy, much as I like 'yota's (I have a Scion, it's flawless) the Nissan is a little more powerful. Would have been my choice for a compact pickup to tow my boat. I also think most brands have pretty good build quality and good warranty service now, so you really can't go wrong with any of them.

The Chev just has a lot more room, plent of tow capacity for a smaller boat, and the new ones are just great looking.

freddy063

Reaction score
My Tacoma is over weighted when I put a fiberglass cap on it. I would check to see what tongue weight plus you load equals and see it the number work. There great little trucks but that what they are, little, 500 pound in the bed it close to killing it.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
2Xs on the Toyota Land Cruiser. I tow my boat which is fully loaded and have no problem. I also have 232,000 miles on it and still have the original engine and transmission without either have any major work done to them. I was told that the engine is good for 500,000 miles and that's probably because nobody has put that many miles on them yet. I do know of a few LCs that have 370,000 plus miles and are still performing fine. The Land Cruiser is definitely in it's own class.

SnoweyTiger

Reaction score
The Toyota is a great little truck, my father kept one 16 years with no problems, often pulled a 2-3,000 pound utility load and transmission never had a problem. He traded on a 2006 and still impressed with the truck.

But when you put the Frontier up to the Toyota you quickly learn that the Frontier offers more per dollar invested. When I shopped small trucks I ended up buying Nissan because the Nissan dealer actually worked to help me buy the truck and the Toyota dealer basically said if I did not buy their truck the next guy in the door would.

Same on the Nissan vs Toyota SUV. I bought the Xterra for a tow vehicle over the Toyota mainly because of nearly $6,000 price differential and dealer attitude.