Traction options for four legged sailors?

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas for some sort of cover/material for added traction on deck. Our dogs are definitely boat dogs and if we go out they go out lol. That being said our Laika has already blown one ACL and our accident prone golden retriever is supposed to be even more prone to ACL and hip injuries! I'm not a huge fan of Seadeck, I work around it a lot and I'm just too messy to keep it looking good not to mention I'm worried about the dog nails tearing it up. I also hate the idea of just throwing down a bunch of random shop mats on deck. My old Trophy had a small enough deck that I cut up an industrial carpet mat and it more or less held itself in place but our new to us Marlin obviously has way more deck space!

IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG

Jargon

Reaction score
Dogs need protection in winter from the elements, particularly rock salt and ice.

The $30 Kurgo’s looked pretty good at first glance. This may or may not work, but it’s an inexpensive idea worth a try.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What about something like Dri-Dek snap together flooring, just cut to fit.

IMG_2080.JPGIMG_2081.JPG

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

I like this idea, I'll have to look into this a little bit more!

What about something like Dri-Dek snap together flooring, just cut to fit.

Not a bad idea, but the Laika (the one in the pictures) absolutely WILL NOT walk on metal grating, I have to usually carry her at the marinas that use metal gangways lol. I could see her hating this...not sure if she's a primadonna or if I'm just an enabler.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I could see metal grating being an issue - her pads probably stradle the grating sometimes, allowing the vertical section of the grate to poke up into her foot. What KY posted is different, though. It's plastic and has a flatter top section. It'd be cheap enough to buy a few of them and try it out at home. You could also look into large, rubber, anti-fatigue mats.

The vinyl weave "carpeting" that Fish is talking about could work - just cut it to be a "wall to wall" carpet and it won't go anywhere. If need be, a few strategically placed snaps is all it'd take (look into "snad" snaps). Even 3M velcro (all plastic stuff, no "fuzzy" part) could work.

Reactions: Salmondogs

Fishtales

Reaction score
I could see metal grating being an issue - her pads probably stradle the grating sometimes, allowing the vertical section of the grate to poke up into her foot. What KY posted is different, though. It's plastic and has a flatter top section. It'd be cheap enough to buy a few of them and try it out at home. You could also look into large, rubber, anti-fatigue mats.

The vinyl weave "carpeting" that Fish is talking about could work - just cut it to be a "wall to wall" carpet and it won't go anywhere. If need be, a few strategically placed snaps is all it'd take (look into "snad" snaps). Even 3M velcro (all plastic stuff, no "fuzzy" part) could work.

The only issue is the price. $10 a sq foot is quite high.

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The only issue is the price. $10 a sq foot is quite high.

Yea I noticed that! I hate to use the term "forever boat" but I've wanted a Marlin for so long that I don't think this one is going anywhere anytime soon. I'd be willing to invest in something if I can find a good solution. If I remember correctly I can get seadeck through my work for something like $6-800 pre cut but not installed, I'd be willing if I knew it wouldn't look like crap in a year or two, which it will with me onboard lol.

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for all the ideas, the boat is headed into the sandblast booth later this week then on to the fiberglass shop. Once I get it home I'll start tinkering with it in earnest. I'll make sure to post up when I do!

Jargon

Reaction score
Dogs need protection in winter from the elements, particularly rock salt and ice.

The $30 Kurgo’s looked pretty good at first glance. This may or may not work, but it’s an inexpensive idea worth a try.

So, nobody liked the idea of the boots with the non slip soles? Why would it be any different for dogs, when that is what we humans wear?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So, nobody liked the idea of the boots with the non slip soles? Why would it be any different for dogs, when that is what we humans wear?
I don't think anybody particularly didn't like that option. It's just another option, that's all. We use them on our dog so we don't have wipe her feet after being outside in a muddy yard. It all depends on the dog - some of them won't like it and will gnaw at it constantly. Probably not good for their paws to keep them wrapped up inside for an extended time, though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea I noticed that! I hate to use the term "forever boat" but I've wanted a Marlin for so long that I don't think this one is going anywhere anytime soon. I'd be willing to invest in something if I can find a good solution. If I remember correctly I can get seadeck through my work for something like $6-800 pre cut but not installed, I'd be willing if I knew it wouldn't look like crap in a year or two, which it will with me onboard lol.

The bad thing is taking that stuff up and sealing with the glue after. Total horror show to get off. I'd either do a rug, mat or rubber. Stay away from gluing anything down.

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The bad thing is taking that stuff up and sealing with the glue after. Total horror show to get off. I'd either do a rug, mat or rubber. Stay away from gluing anything down.
I work around Seadek, luckily haven't had to replace any yet but I've seen it go bad! With dogs, fish blood, and how much hell we like to raise with friends in the local marinas, there's no way I'm putting something that permanent on the boat!

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

We tried a couple different booties after she recovered from her ACL surgery and she absolutely HATED them. The dogs are our kids and it was hard to watch her try and walk on them. Plus if you knew her personality it just wasn't a good fit. I know if I forced her to wear them all the time she would probably get used to them but it's not really something the wife and I really want to mess with.

Fishtales

Reaction score

I tried a set of those for the dog after going to the beach with her today. Hoping they will help with mud an sand. Thanks...