Trailer for 272 Sailfish

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Well, my boat (1998 272 Sailfish) has only been in our slip for about a month now, and I can already see that I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a trailer sometime this winter. I will not be trailering our boat very far, and mostly using it just for storage during the winter, but I can see that I will be going that route. The tow vehicle should not be a problem (F250 diesel) and again I would not be trailering it more than a few miles each time I use it.

I did see a Venture triple axle bunk trailer, used but never titled, for $3500.00 but I didn't know much about that make and at the time I wasn't sure if I was going to need one. Any thoughts on that deal?

So any advice or recommendations about trailering this boat, what trailer to get and how to set it up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GTOMAN

Reaction score
If you will use it in salt water, do not buy one with Tie Engineering brakes. Get one with Kodiak instead. Even with them, take you a little pump-up garden sprayer with a mixture of Salt Away in it and spray the calipers immediately after you bring it out of the water, both when you drop it in to go fishing and when you bring it out to head home.
I have a triple axle Road King for my Sailfish and, except for the mistake of not spending the extra up front for the Kodiaks, have been happy with the trailer. Road King is a mid-prince range. I especially like the triple axle because if you lose one tire, you can get home or to a better spot to change the tire, instead of having to do it in a dangerous road-side spot. I had a wheel to completely come off one night and did not know it until I arrived at my destination. I always feel the hubs to see how hot they are when I get to my destination. It was dark and when I reached down to feel the hub for the back axle, there was nothing there!