Trailer Manufacturers and Options to Consider for a 282

ppaspa

Reaction score
I’m looking to put my ’02 282 on a trailer and wanted any feedback on trailer manufacturers and options people have used or purchased that they either like or don’t’ like. I looked and Loadmaster and Pacific and they looked comparable to me.

I’m also wondering about the benefits or disadvantages between galvanized or aluminum trailers other than weight of course.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Kenlahr has a custom trailer for his 282, and it has a wash down system and all the works. Might be more then you need, but it is by far the nicest trailer I've seen. Check his posts and photos to see images and he can get you incontact with who built his.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I did quite a bit of research and found that there are a few really good manufactures. I called each one over the course of three months and discussed the right "fit" for my 2002 282. I settled on Loadmaster because they were by far the most helpful and patient with all of my questions. They also offered to do "anything" I wanted to the trailer, completely customizing it. Here are a few things I thought were important:
- Bunk to support all the weight
- 16 inch tires on a 3-axle trailer
- Tripple axle breaks, electric over hydrolic
- All stainless steel hardware
- Utility Box
- 2 Spare tires
These are just a few. The wash down system was something a friend and I discussed one time and I mentioned it to Gary at Loadmaster. A week later he came back with a plan. We installed a customized 50 gallon tank and a 6GPM pump. I can run two hoses of it, one guy topside one on the deck. There is enough water for more than just a rinse, we are able to do a complete suds up and wash down. We were flushing the motors also, but I have recently modified the sink hose, replaced the boats fresh water pump and made some hose couplings that connect to the motors and we use the onboard water to flush the motors and clean tackle (guy 3's job).

Before you buy, do your self a favor and give Loadmaster a call and talk to Gary.

Gary R. Straw II
Assistant General Manager
www.loadmastertrailerco.com
loadmaster@cros.net
p 800-258-6115
f 419-732-2183

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Kenlahr said:
I did quite a bit of research and found that there are a few really good manufactures. I called each one over the course of three months and discussed the right "fit" for my 2002 282. I settled on Loadmaster because they were by far the most helpful and patient with all of my questions. They also offered to do "anything" I wanted to the trailer, completely customizing it. Here are a few things I thought were important:
- Bunk to support all the weight
- 16 inch tires on a 3-axle trailer
- Tripple axle breaks, electric over hydrolic
- All stainless steel hardware
- Utility Box
- 2 Spare tires
These are just a few. The wash down system was something a friend and I discussed one time and I mentioned it to Gary at Loadmaster. A week later he came back with a plan. We installed a customized 50 gallon tank and a 6GPM pump. I can run two hoses of it, one guy topside one on the deck. There is enough water for more than just a rinse, we are able to do a complete suds up and wash down. We were flushing the motors also, but I have recently modified the sink hose, replaced the boats fresh water pump and made some hose couplings that connect to the motors and we use the onboard water to flush the motors and clean tackle (guy 3's job).

Before you buy, do your self a favor and give Loadmaster a call and talk to Gary.

Gary R. Straw II
Assistant General Manager
www.loadmastertrailerco.com
loadmaster@cros.net
p 800-258-6115
f 419-732-2183
There are two Loadmaster trailer manufacturers. Ken is referring to the Loadmaster in Port Clinton, Ohio not the Loadmaster in Florida. I have talked to Meghan Straw there and Ken is right. They are very accomodating and it is a family owned and operated business. Definitely talk to them.

clubers

Reaction score
I would recommend putting centering bunks up front. They make loading my 26.8 Islander soooo much easier. Once the bow hits those the boat straightens up and on she goes, perfect every time.

gw204

Reaction score
capt chris said:
There are two Loadmaster trailer manufacturers. Ken is referring to the Loadmaster in Port Clinton, Ohio not the Loadmaster in Florida.

I used to have one of the FL Loadmasters. I read all the hoopla about what a great trailer is was, but to tell you the truth, I wasn't at all impressed. It didn't hold a candle to the old galvanized Load Rite that came with my boat or the aluminum Hi-Tech Marine trailer that I have now.

If you go galvanized, go Load Rite or EZ-Loader.
If you go aluminium, go Hi-Tech through Steve at East Coast Trailers.

I went aluminum because I couldn't warrant the additional cost of the galvanized for the amount of trailering I do, and because I could get an 80" wide frame which gave better stability for my 9'6" beam boat.

Motivator

Reaction score
My 06 282 sits on a triple axle aluminum Road King trailer.

Stainless hardware
"D" rated tires
LED lights
Two spare tires and hubs
Electric over hydraulic brakes on all six wheels (a must have)
I may put 100-200 miles on it a year.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Motivator

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had WESCO build me one for my 330 through my local Grady dealer. Seems like a good trailer to me, but it is still new.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Two other names I would suggest you consider are Eagle in Homer, Michigan and MYCO.
Myco builds for a lot of the go fast Fountains, Outer Limits, etc but will build for Grady White. They are really pricey but are fine trailers.
I have owned an Eagle since 2002 and ordered another one for my new 2008 Tournament 225. Eagle are custom and welded. Nothing bolted to work loose. I bought a galvanized with elec over hyd disc brakes on both axles, LED lights, torsion bar suspension, 4 bunks, Goodyear Marathon tires w/ spare. For what it's worth they are an NMMA certified trailer manufacturer. I was very happy w/ my 2002 Eagle under a 21ft Boston Whaler Outrage for six years and the boat lived on the trailer.

ppaspa

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. This really helps.
Paul

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
2 more cents..

I have all my trailers custom built at Integrity Trailers, Nunica, Michigan. (Just East of Grand Haven.)
They have built trailers for my Donzi,s my Seafarer and my current Gulfstream. They will customize it and build one to your specs...

I trailer between 5 and 6 thousand miles a year.

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Looking to replace a new Venture triaxle with something heavier. What are the thoughts on tandem V/S Triaxle? Talking with two manufactures and getting some conflicting info - One says cheeper to build the triaxle because they use a lighter axle, other says tandem. I am thinking triaxle I like the redundancy. General Thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Chris

gw204

Reaction score
I've had both and like the tandem better. Yes, the triple does track a little better on the highway and felt a tad bit more stable, but the tandem is so much easier to maneuver.

Bearing/seal service on a tandem isn't too bad. But the extra 2 on the triple put it over the edge for me. Then again, maybe that's because I was doing it on a 100 degree day.... :shock: