trailer set up

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Getting ready to pull my boat 280 Marlin for 100 hr service. Only going from the ramp to the parking lot and back to the water. Using a recently rebuilt trailer of a good friend which is rated to hold the boat. My question is setting up the wench post dimension. Is there a length from the back of the bunks or some data that I can use to set up the trailer properly..
thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For what you're doing - just guesstimate. You can measure while the boat is in the water along the deck and get close enough. Or, honestly, even take it off (I'm assuming you won't come in so hot as to ram into your truck!). Just watch that the bow keel doesn't contact a crossmember in the A-frame area. All you really care about is taking the extra pre-caution of tying off forward so the boat doesn't slip off the trailer.

Last edited:

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Misspelled winch again. Not looking for a promiscuous lady!

seasick

Reaction score
A decent spot to start with is to adjust the front winch or bumper so that when winched up, the center of gravity of the hull is pretty much between the two axels ( assuming there are two. If there are three, close to the middle axel is a start.
The center of gravity is available from Grady. I don't have my spec sheet handy at the moment but I am sure other folks might have the number handy.
As a relatively poor estimate of the COG, it is often just behind the captains helm but brackets, extra heavy motors, etc can skew that estimate

For short hauls, the setup is not as critical and basing the position of the hull on the approximate tongue weight is an acceptable approach to adjustment

Coastboater

Reaction score
I probably just take a battery operated impact gun and move the stand all the way forward. Load the boat where you want it on the trailer then move the stand back to the boat, tighten the wench stand there. Assuming it’s a bunk trailer, not a roller.

Reactions: dogdoc

JoeB

Reaction score
Dogdoc, Good advice from Coastboater in the above post. For a short haul you should not have any problems.

Not applicable in your case but those who do trailer long distance might benefit from this article. https://www.proptalk.com/trailering-your-boat-long-haul

One item to think about is a wide load permit. Police will probably never stop you but if you should get into an accident you might find your insurer won't answer your calls....