Trailer spindle corrosion

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Loadmaster trailer and am getting corrosion under the inner grease seal and slinging grease onto the wheel. There was no corrosion in the bearing what so ever. They are flushed each time with neutra salt from a garden sprayer but apparently water is seeping under the seal and discoloring the spindle seal area. I inspect and regrease them each year but do not pull them apart unless a problem is identified. I make two trips a year, one to the marina and one home. The boat sits on the trailer at the marina for the summer but the trailer is used to launch each time. The trailer only gets about 250 miles each year. (that could be the problem, too much sitting)
Do I need to replace the spindle?
Can I sand it smooth?

AlK

Reaction score
If grease is being slung out it sounds to me like the grease seal is shot. I would pull the wheel and inspect the seal very carefully and you will probably find a nick in the seal. Seals are cheap so replace it, and get one with the double lip. Seals are most often damaged when the hub is installed on the axel. Take some emery cloth (very fine sand paper) and remove any rust that is on the spindle where the grease seal sits. If there is major pitting then you may have to resort to using a sleeve. Use a good grade grease manufactured for marine use.

Amigo

Reaction score
There is a product made for this type of problem. You will find it available from an industrial distributor such as Motion Industries or Applied Industrial Technologies. C/R Industries (seal manufacturer) calls it "Speedi Sleve".

It is a thin stainless ring about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. It is a tight fit on the spindle over the area where the lip of the seal rides. It provides a new area for the seal lip to contact.

Installation is not easy but would be much cheaper than a new spindle or axle.

richie rich

Reaction score
if there's no wear and just a lttle surface rust, I wouldnt worry...just get a new seal like AIK suggested....you'll only need replacement if you have serious wear or sloppiness on the OD vs the bearing....you may be blowing out the grease on your own from too much water pressure when cleaning.....a good wash down shouldn't need to be that intrusive and make sure the grease you're using is marine grade and can stand up to the abuse...bearing buddies help if you have that type of set up vs spindle lube bearings.....

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I sanded one of them with 220, 320 and 400 grit. It looks really good. I will replace the grease seal as it was pretty well destroyed during removal from the hub.