Trailering a 225

Pauleye

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 225 and a new roller trailer along with it. What do you use for a transom tie down when towing a boat like this? I use a cable and safety chain for the bow.

Thanks.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Use boat trailer tie-down straps, get them at your favorite marine supply, or online at overtons, west marine, etc.
Use one on the bow too. Not sure what'cha meant by cable and chain. Yes, most winch posts have a safety chain, hook it to the bow-eye, but rig a tie-down strap too to keep everything tight and secure.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
tie downs

Hi, some roller trailers don't have an easy spot to connect a transome tie-down. I have used a 3" nylon web rachet style approx mid-ship across the complete hull down to the trailer, then add another smaller one from the bow-eye down vertical to the trailer (in addition to the cable) to keep the bow from bouncing while trailering...fewer white knuckles this way....Tom

Pauleye

Reaction score
Thaks for the tips

To clarify, I have a winch cable and safety chain to the bow eye, but nothing else. I did a search at your suggestion and found 20' gunwale straps, so I'll get one of these. I'll also look into getting the one for the bow as well. Transom tie downs won't work because of the swim platform and the roller trailer tie-off point is too far from the boat's stern eye's.

Thanks for the tips!!!

PA228G

Reaction score
I have a strap over sides like the others - nothing on the transom.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Be careful of these gunnel straps - they have a tendency at speed to vibrate/flutter and mar the sides of your boat. It took me quite a while to buff thses out. I've acquired some thick carpet pieces to put under the straps to prevent this in the future.

Gary 89 Overnighter

seasick

Reaction score
gwwannabe said:
Be careful of these gunnel straps - they have a tendency at speed to vibrate/flutter and mar the sides of your boat. It took me quite a while to buff thses out. I've acquired some thick carpet pieces to put under the straps to prevent this in the future.

Gary 89 Overnighter
If you add a twist ir two to the webbing, it won't flutter

Alibi II

Reaction score
Hi, We have a 2004 GW 282 Sailfish with twin 225 Yams. We trailer from our home in Northern CA to San Carlos MX. About 5,400 mi. round trip at least once a year. We upsized the hand winch and strap on the trailer and use a bow tiedown strap from the boweye down to the center of the trailer tongue. We actually double the strap and be sure to get one with a winch. We then use the two lifting eyes on the stern of the boat directly down to brackets on the trailer. If you don't have brackets just get a strap long enough to go around the trailer frame and back to the lifting bracket on the boat. We also have a swim platform and they don't usually extend to the sides so much as to interfer with using the lifting brackets as tiedown points. If the transom of your boat extends so far out from the end of your trailer be very cautious. Your transom needs to be supported by the trailer and in particular with a roller trailer. The other thing that I would suggest is to use the trailering cylinders that you slide down on the port side of the trim tubes on your outboards. You then trim your motors down and partially compress the cylinder and it takes the strail off from your trim mechanism. Well worth the few dollars that they cost.
If you use a belly band that goes around the entire boat to the trailer be sure to put something between the strap and the surface of the boat. The friction of the strap on the boat as well as trapping road grit and grime will work like sandpaper on the gellcoat. Carpet will ork or what will also work is to take the fleece style washing mits and sew two together with a slit to pass the strap through and then position them at the rub points. Be sure to get a strap that is wide enough to give you the support that you need. We used a 3" wide cargo strap with a heavy duty rachet assembly to tighten it.
I hope that this has been of some help. Enjoy your new toy.PS Really keep an eye on your tire pressure and make sure that your buddy bearings are filled. We make regular stops to strech our legs and check the boat and trailer.