Transducer placement 265Express PartII

Boat Hound

Reaction score
I had purchased a B164 tilted element transducer for my 2004 Express over the winter and just started to scope out where to put it. I pulled the rear hatch yesterday, thinking I would have real easy access but no dice. The thru hulls for the raw water and live well, and their flanges take up the majority of the room. I had initially thought just outboard of there, on the other side of the stringer. But it is glassed in wood from that stinger to the next, blocking access to the hull, essentially creating a shelf.

Is this something which can be cut through for access to the hull? I was thinking taking a 6" hole saw to gain access? I would guess this is structural, so I don't want to go monkeying around too much.

All the other postings for the 265 indicate that access is not an issue. I know there was a hull change in 2003, I wonder if this was part of that?

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I was laying out where to put the tducer on my 2004 Express and it must be different than yours. Both sides of the bottom next to the bilge pump are open; perhaps a space of 10" (side of the pump to the side of the shelf) x 16" (bow to stern). I do have the "shelf" you mentioned but there's a lot of space from where it ends and the bilge pump for the tducer.
My issue is getting the cable to the electronics box from the bilge. Any tips would be appreciated- I'm sure Boat Hound can use the tips as well. It's not obvious how to route it.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
It sounds like my through hulls are further foward. The b164 would fit, but the flanges from the the through hulls extend too far.

I dont know if you have the manual (if not they have on the Grady site), they show all of the chases and where to acess them. The real tough part I am finding is from the chases, into the helm.

I also contacted Grady today to see if they had any clues to offer.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
max366 said:
Over the weekend, I was laying out where to put the tducer on my 2004 Express and it must be different than yours. Both sides of the bottom next to the bilge pump are open; perhaps a space of 10" (side of the pump to the side of the shelf) x 16" (bow to stern). I do have the "shelf" you mentioned but there's a lot of space from where it ends and the bilge pump for the tducer.
My issue is getting the cable to the electronics box from the bilge. Any tips would be appreciated- I'm sure Boat Hound can use the tips as well. It's not obvious how to route it.
Actually just re-read your post. I have plenty of space behind the thru hulls, on either side of the bilge pump, but the ducer needs to be in clean water. Is that where you where talking, or are your through hulls further back?

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, on the side of the pump is where I'm planning to locate the tducer. I located a thru hull tducer in the same place on my 26 Black Watch, which has essentially the same hull as the 265 and it would track the bottom at 50 mph. i think there's good water at that location.

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We didn't use the the chases, we pulled the lead up to the built in starboard tackle box [which you have to unscrew and remove] and then pulled from the dash to where the lead came out under the tackle box.