transducer placement?

RJTFD

Reaction score
Just purchased a fcv620 with a B60-20 tilted element for my 232. I currently have a thru hull transducer mounted with fairing block. I'm not able to access my bilge being the boat is still under wraps but it looks like I might have to relocated the transducer cause it looks like old transducer is to close to pickup for seacock and I might not be able to fit B60 there. If so I will leave old ducer in place and move new one forward of pickups. Would anyone happen to have a picture of inside there bilge or any info on placement for the 232?
I know spring is right around the corner but I lack patience and just trying to get an idea whats ahead.
Thanks for any help.

P.S I will be putting up for sale my old fishfinder that is in good working order with no problems it is a Furuno FCV600L and depening if I leave old ducer in or not it will come with it. I won't know until mid march. :mrgreen:

billfish33

Reaction score
[URL=http://s485.photobucket.com/us... Grady White Gulfstream 23/DSC_0047.jpg[/img][/url]

on my Gulfstream 230 I have an Airmar SS-264,200 mgz,20 degree {Wide} hooked up to a Furuno FCV-620, and I'm very happy with this setup.
We fish the Sound as were docked in Cos Cob CT {Mianus River}, We can read bottom at WOT with this setup !
Even though, the FCV-620 isn't a 1 kw rated sounder,having the 1 kw ducer helps a great deal !

cgmiller

Reaction score
I put a B20 tilted element transducer in my 1990 230 Gulfstream this spring. I installed it on the starboard side forward of the bulkhead between the rear compartment shown and where the oil tanks and fuel filters are. Since I dont have oil tanks anymore, I cut out the wooden platform so I could access the bottom of the boat. I dont know what kind of bilge access you have in the 232.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I have the same access as billfish except I still have my 2 oil tanks where he has his washdown pump. Also bill fish where you mounted your transducer I have a second seacock so I'm hoping I will have enough room to mount it forward of that. Thanks for the pix I couldn't for the life of me remember what the layout was like and the boat has only been covered since end of December.
Billfish did you install yourself? If so what did you do with hole after you drilled it was it cored and need to be sealed before installing TD?
It looks like hardest thing might be to tighten it down going to be hard to get wrench in there.

billfish33

Reaction score
RJTFD said:
Thanks guys,
I have the same access as billfish except I still have my 2 oil tanks where he has his washdown pump. Also bill fish where you mounted your transducer I have a second seacock so I'm hoping I will have enough room to mount it forward of that. Thanks for the pix I couldn't for the life of me remember what the layout was like and the boat has only been covered since end of December.
Billfish did you install yourself? If so what did you do with hole after you drilled it was it cored and need to be sealed before installing TD?
It looks like hardest thing might be to tighten it down going to be hard to get wrench in there.

Had to have this installed as drilling such a large hole {this ducer is huge} in the bottom of the boat was something I couldn't handle :mrgreen:

Palmer Point Marine,a few marinas over from us did the install,came out great !

RJTFD

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'm going to give it a shot myself boe marine has a good video on youtube.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I found that there was lots of room behind the fresh water tank and fuel tank in my 226. That's where I put my B60. Too much clutter in the bilge area with 2 water uptakes. You need to pop off the tank cover, but there was lots of elbow room.

Don't know if you have that option in the 232. You might ask Grady White.

BTW, the B60 is a great transducer for out to at least 100'. I can track bottom at 30+ mph and the signal is much stronger than my Humminbird HD side image transducer in the 2D mode.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Thanks I will take a look. I think there might be plenty of room on starboard side in front of pickup I will have to check when I pull cover off in 3 more weeks. My freshwater tank is in front of my livewell under helm seat.

cgmiller

Reaction score
The bottom of the hull of my 1990 was not cored. It was solid glass. Do yourself a favor and buy a good hole saw. I bought a new one for the job and I cored through the hull is about 2 minutes..if it even took that long. I drilled the pilot hole from the insde and then the big hole from under the boat. I had to cut the handle off a pipe wrench to properly secure the retaining nut. I used the rubber gasket on the inside and if I did it again, I would not use it. Makes tightening the nut tougher. I used 5200 on the bottom and in the void around the transducer. No leaks and I have installed a half dozen or so over the years.