Transom issues with mid 90’s Sailfish

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi – I am thinking of purchasing a mid 90’s Sailfish with the Euro transom. In particular, I’m looking at 1994 252 sailfish and 95-96 or so 272 Sailfish. I’m hearing some not so good things about the transoms in those boats. The link and quote below summarizes my findings. Should I stay away from this boat if the transom has not already been rebuilt? Are there issues with nearly all of them as the author suggests or only a small number?

The link is
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... ilure.html
where “Dunk” says

“ Grady's with stern drives or Grady's with bracketed outboards usually have solid transoms. Outboard Grady's with open transoms [Euro Transoms] with that damn alum dress cap they put across the transoms causes the rotten transoms. They screw the alum dress cap into the top of the transom with stainless wood screws. Yes, they seal it with 5200, but contrary to Internet belief....5200 is NOT permanent. 3-4 years after the boats leave the factory the 5200 washes out and the plywood in transoms starts getting wet..

Saltwater will take 25-30 years to rot a transom. The problem is once the 5200 quits then rain water starts getting down thru the holes Grady drilled to put the alum dress cap on.. The spors that create the fungus come down in rain water and get into the transom and the party is over.. 3-4-5 yrs later the transom is well on it's way to rotting away..

The Grady's that have the full transom's like the stern drives and the ones with Grady Drives for outboards can be bone dry even when they are 25-30 yrs old.. I've seen 100's of them that were dry that were that old..

I spent 10 yrs rebuilding rotten Grady's. Grady's are high buck boats.. Why rebuild something no one wants....so I picked Grady's to rebuild. I got sick of epoxy setting up in my hair and under my figure nails and figured I was looking at so many boats to rebuild I'd be better off getting paid to look at them, write a report and let someone rebuild them.. It's worked out nicely..”

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In general, as with any boat model of any brand, the advice is to have a pre-purchase survey performed by a qualified expert, ask around in your particular area for a recommendation, or ask here. I tend to favor experience in rebuilding boats, on a resume.

Dunk is well known and highly regarded by many including me. I learned restoration in part by reading his procedures and I also acquire my suppliers where he recommended, and true to the reasons thereof. And by doing it, practicing it.
I recall also reading his advice on the use of seafoam and decarbon procedures.

For the experts, transom condition is easy to figure out and readily restorable to better than OEM condition. For the particular boat you have in mind just like buying a house the survey findings are negotiable. I'd find what I wanted and agree to a price pending survey, and perhaps sea trial for the motors depending on what your mechanic advises. There is plenty more boat than transom to check out.

And don't forget checking the engines, repowering these days is about $35K, many times over for a transom restoration.

Good luck.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
He certainly seemed to single out the Euro-style transoms in the vintage I am looking at as being problematic. Can any 94-97 Sailfish owners comment on their transom experience? Is yours still original? If not, how much did the rebuild cost? Or did you do it yourself? And if so, would you do it again?

Thanks,
-Scott

steveg

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Several years ago, I was quoted around $5k for the transom rebuild, 85 Trophy Pro. I then blew a motor, old Ficht (got 11 years out of them) and decided it was not worth it. Bought a 98 Sailfish, surveyed, and have a great boat. Donated the GW to St. Michael's museum and they auctioned it off. Good luck. The Sailfish handles much differently than the Trophy Pro and is much better in larger waves. I do miss not having the euro transom, easier to catch fish with that than having to hang over the motors. Steve
PS. Search on line if you do consider replacing the transom yourself. Several very ingenious fixes that can be done on it. I would have loved to have tried it but my wife, after replacing the stringers/deck) of a 72 Robalo, said absolutely no.