Transom Leaking

Captsinbill

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Took out the motor boats and new caulk and a 2x2x3/8 aluminum bracket was placed on each bolt inside tightened to 50 pounds torque. Sometimes when I get back from Florida, the boat was in storage that froze. The scupper on the starboard side popped the inside ring. I did not take care of it right away, and I think water leaked into the transom because of it.
The transom is a solid as can be, but I have these small drips of water looks like mixed with some type of paste dripping out from underneath the aluminum cap. I had the boat and heated storage for the last 30 days.. i am thinking let it be and fish - always looking for different points of view

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hey Captsinbill, you named this post the same a another post that is in the General Discussion. Its going to cause confusion, with answers and question posted in two different threads.

Can you rename this or post this into the other thread?

Thanks

Captsinbill

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hey Captsinbill, you named this post the same a another post that is in the General Discussion. Its going to cause confusion, with answers and question posted in two different threads.

Can you rename this or post this into the other thread

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Can you rename this or post this into the other thread?

Thanks
This one?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's a little hard to follow some of your wording, but I think I have the jist of it.

Do you use bottom paint with copper in it? That could explain the greenish color we see. FYI, if you do, it really should be painted right up next to the motor brackets.

Regardless, though, the main question is WHY is water leaking out from underneath the bang cap. How is water getting inside there? Address that and the ancillary problem will disappear.

Get on top of this ASAP - water is currently leaking down into your wood core of the transom.

Side note... be careful with all of that sealant around the motor bracket - you could easily cause a situation where you trap water between the bracket and the transom. And then if it freezes...

seasick

Reaction score
It's a little hard to follow some of your wording, but I think I have the jist of it.

Do you use bottom paint with copper in it? That could explain the greenish color we see. FYI, if you do, it really should be painted right up next to the motor brackets.

Regardless, though, the main question is WHY is water leaking out from underneath the bang cap. How is water getting inside there? Address that and the ancillary problem will disappear.

Get on top of this ASAP - water is currently leaking down into your wood core of the transom.

Side note... be careful with all of that sealant around the motor bracket - you could easily cause a situation where you trap water between the bracket and the transom. And then if it freezes...
It may be a bit late. It is possible that the coring is soaked or that the glass has delaminated leaving a space for water to collect. When you added the brace and tightened the bolts, you squeezed the transom and the resulting oozing water had to go somewhere.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It may be a bit late. It is possible that the coring is soaked or that the glass has delaminated leaving a space for water to collect. When you added the brace and tightened the bolts, you squeezed the transom and the resulting oozing water had to go somewhere.
Good point. If there's no obvious signs of how water could be getting in such as corroded aluminum where the SS screws are, then this is the most logical reason.

Barbender

Reaction score
That jelly like substance is called ester and it from the moisture in the transom mixing with the metal/greenwood and causing a chemical reaction. It also emits a gas which will cause some pitting and perforations in the transom cap which is very common with these boats as it is emitted out the top.

Fishtales

Reaction score
IDK guys. That brown shite is usually bleeding from the wooden core. I hope not but man that appears to be a classic GW transom failure allowing water to get in.
I hate seeing these things over and over. What a freeking stupid design and no action by GW. Sad, just sad.