Transom mount transducer on 330.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am considering putting a Garmin GT 56 transom mount transducer on my 330 between the engines. Has anyone done this? Does the side scan work with the engines tilted slightly up? Looking for advice and comment.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I ran a transom mount Gt51M between motors on a 265 express it worked very well at trolling speed or less but not well on plane. I have since mounted a thru hull Gt 51 on the keel and it is great

Sibs

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I too have done it my 265 worked well similar hull design,. I would epoxy a piece of starboard material to transom and then screw transducer to that. Avoid adding holes in transom bellow water line. My 2 cents

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks! I already have a 1K thru hull that works good, but looking for side scan like I have on my other boat. I used Sternmate on my other boat to keep from drilling, plus provides easy adjustment. The garboard (drain) plug being centered on the transom (keel alignment) is going to be a challenge. Did anyone offset the mounting due to the garboard (drain) plug? If so how far? I was thinking about centering my transducer mount over the plug with a set back drop down mount so as to be directly in line with the keel. Where along the deadrise did you guys mount the TM transducer if not centerline? Garmin says it should be 15" from the props. Did you have to tilt the engines to get good sidescan? Thanks for your info!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Did not tilt engines any more than usual running position. Sidevu worked fine at slow speeds in 150 Ft. On plane it did not work and traditional was degraded quite a bit.
Great for finding and "seeing" wrecks. I would not be without it.

Changing to a Thru hull made it fantastic even at speed. I can look for a wreck doing circles at 20mph.

IMG_0791.jpeg
BNwdkmzm.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for that picture and info, Skunk. I almost made that same location modification with my Simrad 3 in 1 transducer last month but chickened out at the last minute. I was unsure if there would be too much turbulence located just offset from the keel. I can't get much of a port side-scan view where I have it mounted on the starboard side of the transom now. I think the problem may be turbulence from the baitwell pump through-hull fitting. Next time I pull the boat home I'll put a Stermate close to the garboard plug and give it a try.

No side-scan units were designed to work at high speeds. Does your thought hull actually give a good side image at 20 mph or were you talking about 2D?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Doc, my GT 56 and Sternmate arrive tomorrow. I plan to do a similar install near the garbage plug but maybe I can figure out a way to do it over the top of the garbage plug and make it centerline still researching. Let me know how yours comes out and I’ll do the same. Where do you currently have your transducer?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No side-scan units were designed to work at high speeds. Does your thought hull actually give a good side image at 20 mph or were you talking about 2D?
yes. in 150 ft. Found a wreck I had bad numbers for. Been looking for it for years everytime I was in the area (Its way out by itself). Just covered ground at 20mph doing a search and finally there it was, off to left, a mile from my numbers.

kees.barfield

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am considering putting a Garmin GT 56 transom mount transducer on my 330 between the engines. Has anyone done this? Does the side scan work with the engines tilted slightly up? Looking for advice and comment.
I would avoid screwing anything into a transom. Use the flats and spend the extra $'s on a good thru hull with fairing block.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
This work great for mounting transom transducers without drilling transom

SEAWORTHY INNOVATIONS Stern Pad Jumbo White - Screwless Transducer/Acc. Mounting Kit (for Large 3D Scan Transducers)
- Made in The USA with Genuine 3M VHB Adhesive

$44.00 on Amazon

1675609315908.png

1675609410398.png

Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks! It seems like these pop up every so often. Probably the same person just signing up under different handles each time

Probably so. They get in somehow but once you guys report them,,, they're gone.