Transom replacement on old grady

beck123

Reaction score
Time to consider replacing transom on my 1974 183 adventurer. Doesn't make much sense financially, but I do love the boat...

Anyway, I've come across loads of info on transom replacement in similar boats, but nothing specific to this model or even a grady of similar vintage. If anyone's undertaken this and can offer some specific tips, I'd be much obliged.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First off how handy are you, you a guy in the trades, if so what are you good at. Telling you from experience this is not a project to be taken litely. The transom is the heart of the boat in that this is where your power couples with your hull. your structural integrity here is critical.

beck123

Reaction score
Time to replace because I can poke my fingers clear through the mushy rotten wood from the inside, and because there's a big crack traversing the lower engine/tilt mounting bolts. Smacked a rock with my lower unit a few weekends back and split by gearcasing wide open. The impact brought the urgency of the transom situation to light.

I'm pretty handy, and I've looked through countless articles, photos, and how-tos on transom repair (and I stayed in a holiday inn express). Never done fiberglass work before, though. While I'm fairly confient I can handle the complexity of the basic repair, I'm not so sure about my ability to do an adequate finish job when it's back together. Any way I figure to remove the rear section of deck to get at the inside of the transom cuts across some complex curves I'm not sure I can match back up. And I don't want to have to repaint the whole boat to disguise the repair.

whitey

Reaction score
if you're really serious.i had the transom ,the bulkheads,and the deck pieces all repaired by a pro.the job was done and there's no way you can tell the boat has been cut apart.this is a big project,one that requires skill and understanding of exactly what you're doing.other's on here can give you suggestion,i've never seen anyone post pictures of any projects like this.there was a member here,his buisness performed all the work on my boat,i would reccomend him to anyone,i suggest you call him.
jim anderson,jimmy's marine.do a search on here for him,you're gonna find his contact information.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
whitey said:
if you're really serious.i had the transom ,the bulkheads,and the deck pieces all repaired by a pro.the job was done and there's no way you can tell the boat has been cut apart.this is a big project,one that requires skill and understanding of exactly what you're doing.other's on here can give you suggestion,i've never seen anyone post pictures of any projects like this.there was a member here,his buisness performed all the work on my boat,i would reccomend him to anyone,i suggest you call him.
jim anderson,jimmy's marine.do a search on here for him,you're gonna find his contact information.

Hi Jimmy!

Seriously, from what I've seen of his work it is top notch Finest Kind had work done by him too. His prices are a little $teep but solid work.

catch22

Reaction score
whitey said:

That psycopath was banned from here... why don't you just leave it at that. Besides.... I don't think beck123 is going to drive all the way from central Pa, just to get insulted and ripped off.

whitey

Reaction score
seriously guys,i'm not jim.i had my boat worked on by him,that's all.i have my grady for sale,i just bought a 32 albermarle.i'm a builder in avalon nj-i don't do boats,i do houses.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On a boat that old, it is hardly considered worthwhile to get someone else to do it since it is labor intensive work. You will be doing it for yourself to continue using the boat safely for a long time to come.

If you are not in a hurry and have some time, the bulk of the work is readily do-able for a DIYer at a huge savings. You buy your glass supplies over the one-shop sources over the internet at considerable savings, and marine plywood is available locally, if you choose to use marine plywood, which is the lowest cost option.
I used Raka in Florida for my fb supplies, there are others.

The remaining finish work is minor in $$, if you are so concerned with making it look like it was not done, then hire out the finish fairing work, much the same as guys do with sheetrock hiring out the taping.

Like Brian refers, go over to Classicmako.com and go through the project boats - show and tells, look at Eddie Rings boat project and others, you have everything there and narrated too. What a resource. No difference a Mako transom from a Grady transom, it's all wood and glass. When you get done, it will be better than new.

West Systems Epoxy sells a $5.00 starter booklet on fb boat repairs, read it.

Then come back here or at classicmako.com and ask questions.

Good luck

beck123

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I've put the transom on my list of projects to get busy on, and with a little luck I'll be able to post some photos once the work is under way.

Bob K

Reaction score
Repairing Old Anythings

If you really like an X and plan to keep it for many years, and if the market value is of no importance to you, then repairing your X is far more logical than dumping it and getting a new(er) replacement X.

Gradys being ladies worth falling in love with, then repairing a Grady is logical.