transportation question

Vince

Reaction score
I am about to close a deal on a 2001 268 Islander located in Georgia. I need it transported to Mass. I found a company that will supply a boat trailer and bring it up here for $2000.
Having never been in such a situation, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and if the price seems fair. its a 15 hour ride and 1000 miles

Thanks Vin

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am about to close a deal on a 2001 268 Islander located in Georgia. I need it transported to Mass. I found a company that will supply a boat trailer and bring it up here for $2000.
Having never been in such a situation, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and if the price seems fair. its a 15 hour ride and 1000 miles

Thanks Vin

Prices vary dramatically depending on time of year and where you are going. I would expect $2-4 per mile for that boat. This is the season people move boats south for the winter, so you should be able to get a deal on a back haul. I can also tell you from experience that anything in the northeast will incur a premium. I just used Bishop's Transportation out of Florida to move a 330 Express from RI to NC, and they were great. There is a guy on THT named Caj Flynn that I used before as well with good results. Just be careful. There are a lot of fly-by-night guys out there without good insurance.

Vince

Reaction score
do you have a number for that guy

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've imported 2 boats across the whole country. First from Georgia. Earlier this month Peter hauled by boat from Virginia to Washington state. 2900 miles. I'd use him again in a heart beat. I paid $3250 via Uship. He only got $1600. If I did it again I'd go direct with Peter.

He make regular loops from Michigan to Florida and specializes in boats. 3 guys on the team. Call him. Tell him Joe sent you.

Peter K.: 404-807-5695

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I was going to ship my 208 from FL to CA using Uship but didn’t get any bids from providers with a good reputation/reviews; wish I got lucky like Joe above. There were, however, a lot of lowball bids from providers with no reviews and poorly written profiles with little to no credentials. If it was a shorter haul I’d be a little more open to Uship and have heard good things from others about many of the providers that do business there.

The price looks fair considering the distance and size of the boat. Make sure you have it insured to as it’ll be covered during transport (peace of mind anyway) and you should be good to go.

Vince

Reaction score
The company called Freedom transport I found online. They seem real desperate. They literally called me 6 times today. I told them I havnt even finalized the deal but they want 500 to lock down the driver. Ya ok I'll give you 500$ and I havnt wired the money for the boat yet. I did call peter, no response yet.

Thanks

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Freedom, sounds sketchy for sure. Peter sleeps/drives weird hours, usually they do more miles at night to avoid traffic. He's better on text since he can have all the details in writing.

It's stressful but I did the same thing. Confirmed with him before I bought the boat, knowing I was 90% in.

Text him:
  • pickup window date range the seller agrees too. May need to be 3-7 day pickup window since who knows where he is.
  • Photo of the boat.
  • Actual weight on trailer loaded. Not the dry weight.
  • When you need it by - be realistic.
Ask him if that's possible. He'll tell you but he's likely trying to figure out the logistics now.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Freedom, sounds sketchy for sure. Peter sleeps/drives weird hours, usually they do more miles at night to avoid traffic. He's better on text since he can have all the details in writing.

It's stressful but I did the same thing. Confirmed with him before I bought the boat, knowing I was 90% in.

Text him:
  • pickup window date range the seller agrees too. May need to be 3-7 day pickup window since who knows where he is.
  • Photo of the boat.
  • Actual weight on trailer loaded. Not the dry weight.
  • When you need it by - be realistic.
Ask him if that's possible. He'll tell you but he's likely trying to figure out the logistics now.

I just read you don't have a trailer.... Might be a deal breaker for Peter. That's why you're getting higher prices. May need to get a trailer or find a more specialized company.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
$2000 seems like a low price to me. Make sure he has sufficient insurance to cover your boat. See his current policy or walk away. There are too many good guys and good recommendations here for you to have a bad experience.

I have used Tony Stewart for ten years. His number is 561.253.4007.

Rob

Vince

Reaction score
Ya so I followed someone's advice and found Flynn's driver by the name of Caj. He was heading to pick up in Conn. He grabbed my Grady and dropped it off at a trailer dealer for a swap for 1300$ Caj was awesome he claimed he had insurance but I never asked for proof, he picked up my. Grady on tuesday and it was in Conn Wednesday at 4.

Vince

Reaction score
Here she is in all her glory

Attachments

• 30990.jpeg
    30990.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 24

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What a stunner!!

Congratulations, love the clean hull.

I paid a father/son team $3,500 to haul my Seafarer from Maryland to Reno.

Peace of mind is so important with these things......

Last edited: