trim position sensor/indicator on tach

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
I've a 209 escape, pushed by a YAM 150. The engine trim works, but the sensor of the trim position does not linearly indicate the engine position on the tach, as it should. I see usually two bars, no matter where the engine really is. Any ideas how to troubleshoot, or fix?
Thx
B

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is a sensor under the starboard motor bracket...which pushes against a tab that is screwed to the tilt tube.

The tab used to be plastic but Yamaha re-engineered it some years back and now its stainless.

If you only need the tab, it's less than $20. If you need the entire sender, its close to $200.

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
thanks Parthery
Will check it out this weekend.
And how do I decide between the two possibilities?
B

Claxton971

Reaction score
I've got a 95 209 with a 96 150 as well. Had the same issue and fixed last weekend. This sender, located as noted above, works with a spring which compresses as the engine is trim down and releases as the engine goes up. Likely you'll just need to inject some lube (I used T-9) and work it by hand several times to free it up. Only took some very minor corrosion to lock it up. The spring tensions is not super strong. 30-40 cycles by hand and it works as new. The lever on mine is not stainless, though the spring assembly is.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Once you find the sender, turn the key on and have a helper watch the gauge as you move the arm on the sender. If the trim bars on the gauge fluctuate as you move the sender arm, then the sender is working properly.

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
Re: trim position sensor/indicator on tach THE PLOT THICKENS

OK

The advice seemed perfect; I searched for the trim sensor, being behind the boat, in the water, looking for the starboard spring and tab, as described. Cannot say I found it, though I did see a small spring, but it did not seem attached to anything like a sensor. As I poked around, and felt around, there was a plastic flange that surrounded the axle about which the motor rotates, up and down. It is about 1/3 inch in width, and again, hugged that axle. It was a round piece of plastic, with a little extra tab on it. I wondered if this was part of the sensor; I turned it a few times, and it rotated on that steel axle, but did not seem obviously attached to anything. Low and behold, it broke in half, half going south in the water, the other half staying around that axle, so I could just lift that half off. So here is the question: what did I break, what did it do, what do I do, next? And was I anywhere near the sensor?

All thumbs.

Thx

Claxton971

Reaction score
As I re-read the original location I realized that the sender is actually on the Port bracket vice starboard. Directly over the trim pump motor. I believe it can only be accessed with the motor up. I worked on it out of the water so it was fairly easy to see. The arm on the sender is approx 2" long. Similiar in size to the engine uplock. It pivots so that in the up position it is horizontal and vertical in the down position.
Not sure what fell of the stbd side.

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Not sure what year your motor is, and my story may be considerably different due to engine size; but I just changed both of mine on my 2001 OX66-250's, both senders where able to move and sent a signal to the gauge but no joy getting them to free up.

They come out fairly easy, you do have to disconnect the power wires to the entire trim unit to get the sender wire harness to fit through (all the wires in the slot wouldnt allow the connector to pull through) but its a simple plug and play to install, use a LONG screw driver with a large size phillips head, will help to get some good torque on the screws.

I bought both mine from Andy at Shipyard Isle Marine, heres a link to the ones I got, I would assume a 150's would be similar.

http://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Trim_Se ... -02-00.htm

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
thanks for all of the advice
Sender replaced, with metallic piece now in place of plastic.
Had to look at another set up on a TR 150 to see how the sender should be installed, but just as predicted, the sensor tab was stuck, and with some forced movement, has been freed up.
Thanks again for all the useful advice.
Problem solved.
B