Trim tab size for an overnighter???

timo14

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a set of tabs. From the Bennett site, it looks like i want either 18x9's or M120's (10"x12"). Boat's an 86 204c with a Johnson 225 2-stroke. Hull is pre-Seav2. I'm assuming that I'll have to move or cut my swim platform for the actuator either way. Anybody have a review of either size tabs on this this boat or something similar?

Tim

seasick

Reaction score
I would probably opt for the 10 x 12s over the 9 x 18s. I think there is a M120s or sport model available. The actuator for that model needs less transom height. I am not sure about the position of your swim platform but the short model may clear it. There are installation drawings available on the Bennett Marine web site.

timo14

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Catch... Did a search... didn't even think about searching for the 209. Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Probably going to use your vendor too... his price is right.

I think I'm going to go with the M-120's. The 18's seem huge, and the 120's just look cooler. My only real concern is the performance. I've got quite a bit of weight hanging off the transom, which is the main reason I want the tabs. Looking to cruise at lower speeds. Do you guys think they'll be ok for me?

Thanks

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 228 w/ 250 SWS II on a bracket and a fresh water wash down-lots of weight aft. I actually switched from the 9x12's to the M-120's with no drops/ changes in performance. They work great w/ almost instant response.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I had the same boat you have. I had the standard 12" x 12" tabs on it and they performed well.

timo14

Reaction score
Could any of you tell me what the mounting height of the actuator is above the actual tab. I dont have a whole lot of room, so i think that I might only have room for the 9x18's under the swim platform. Here's what i'm looking for...

TrimTabHeight.jpg

And here's a pic of my transom

DSC02194.jpg

Seahunter

Reaction score
Tough to get an exact measurement but call it 14.5" for the standard actuator

timo14

Reaction score
Thanks Seahunter. Looks like I'm going to have to cut into my swim platform with either size tab... but the 9x18's would be less obtrusive.

Thanks again,
Tim

catch22

Reaction score
If it were me, I would replace that swim platform with a newer, plastic/poly style. There should be models with a lower, shallower profile.
I had to raise one on a friends 22 Seafarer about 2 inch's to install Bennett tabs. Sealed the holes with Lifeseal and finished it off with Marinetex... worked out fine.

Also;

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/faq1.htm

Check out number 6.

Bennett does offer a shorter actuator, (2 inch's shorter). Not sure if that's what's used on the sport tabs, (M80's, M120's). I would contact Bennett and find out - http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/help.htm
their customer service is outstanding.

I seriousely don't think you need 18" tabs. I've had the standard 9" x 12"s on a 20', 23' and 24' (Grady's)... they worked fine. The Seafarer mentioned above was also 9" X 12". The M80's would also do fine... maybe stretch it to M120"s.

timo14

Reaction score
Thanks Catch. I had read before that the short actuator was 2" shorter than the long one... but didn't know how long the long one was. I posted to tabman on tht. If i dont hear back from him soon, I'll call customer service. I might need to call them anyway... all the online stores i've looked at offer the M-120's with the electronic indicator control (EIC), but i haven't found this with the 9x18's. It looks like I'd have to order both separately, which would leave me with an extra switch.