Trim Tabs - Hydrolic or Electric?

ghcpa9

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What type of tabs are better and what is the ball park cost to have them installed after market on a 20 footer? A guy the marina quoted me about $1300 installed for electric ones. I assumed most ppl have hydrolic and those kits costs around $600. Is installation really that much??

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bennetts for sure.

I have had Bennetts in all three of my Grady Whites. After about 8 years I had a pump go out in the first Grady. I called them and they sent me a rebuilt pump before I removed the old one so that I would not have to climb down into the cabin more than once. They included a return label so I could put the old one in the box and send it back. No charge!

I had a wiring problem in the second Grady and while my head was stuck under seat in the cabin their service department stepped me through the problem solving procedure on my cell phone. This took about 20 minutes and never once did the service tech seem frustrated or in a hurry. He saved me a lot of time although it took some of his. Again, No Charge.

Maybe the other companies are good but I’ll never find out because I’ll never have anything but Bennetts.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I had trim tabs installed on my prior boat (a 21' Seaswirl Striper). I spent the entire winter before having the tabs installed going back and forth between Bennett (hydraulic) and Lenco (electric). They are both great companies and both are terrific products. If you look on high end boats, you will see both used (Grady uses Bennett while Whaler uses Lenco). In theory Lenco are easier to install since you are only running wiring and not having to plumb any tubing for the hydraulics. That said, everyone will tell you that Bennett's customer service is A++. I can tell you first hand that I had to deal with them twice (nobody's fault - I just wanted to switch out the tabs that came with the kit I purchased) and they were fantastic.

There are a number of videos online that show how to install trim tabs. It's not rocket science and the most important part is in bedding the screws to hold the tabs so that you don't get water inside your transom.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference. Most people will choose Bennett just because you don't have electric motors sitting exposed to the elements like you do in the Lencos (and the Bennett's have proven to be ultra reliable). There are many, many stories about Bennett replacing parts out of warranty which is another plus.

My 21' Striper didn't come with trim tabs and my dealer originally convinced me I didn't need them. They were one of the best (if not the best) investments I made in terms of improving boat handling, boat trim, and being able to adjust the ride for different sea conditions (and get better fuel mileage).

Definitely a worthwhile project. Good luck!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bennetts are an easy install on your boat if you're handy, and yeah, about $500 for a kit. They make a nice product that works very well. Todd Bennett hosts a section on THT if you want to browse.

I keep telling people to try the PERMATRIM first if you're just looking for bow trim. I have both and pretty much only use the tabs for 'thwartship leveling from uneven loading (people's butt's) and prop torque. Andy at SIM is the north American importer, he also has a section on THT if you want to read up.

Tabs are nice to run the bow down when slogging heavy chop. You can cut the power back and run at 12-14mph with the bow down and stay on plane. The Permatrim is about 75% as effective as the tabs, but it does it's job getting the boat up on plane. For cruising speed on up I don't use the tabs, just for slower speeds where the bow wants to ride high.

As far as an install, a 'dealer' or marina is going to charge you full-boat list or more for the parts, and $65 to $100 an hour to do the work, and they take their time. Some are good tech's, some not so good. That's why I do everything myself. So they're probably charging you $800 for the kit and $500 to put them in, allowing themselves a day of labor. What a joke.

Reaction score
trim tab decision

I first experienced the benefit of trim tabs when I purchased a florida flat's boat, Hewes Redfisher 18'. It has Bennet trim tabs.I already owned a Grady, 226 Seafarer without any tabs.
Knowing the benefit of tabs and the reliability of my Bennets, I purchased a kit of Bennets for my Grady.The install was a piece of cake.
My neighbor who has a boat really needing trim tabs decided after trying my boat out with the tabs that he also needed them.I helped him with the install and it went very smoothly.He is a satisfied Bennet trim addict.
Don't kid yourself, these electric trim tabs are rugged, reliable and easdy to install youself!!

bc282

Reaction score
on a previous boat i bought and installed 18x9 Bennett's with a buddy. I looked at both Lenco and Bennett and chose Bennett due to solid reputation, and since most locals have gone Bennett future trouble shooting and familiarity would be better if problems should occur (in the short 3 years i had that boat no issues with tabs).

I think both are relatively easy to install except you have to go to awkward areas of the boat to do so. I don't think install difficulty would be a deciding factor.

I just checked Bennett's website and they have an updated rocker control with indicators (near identical to Lenco) and a very cool option of LED lights to mount to the tabs. a bit pricey but very cool.

Reaction score
Trim Tabs

I really blew it :( :( :( I installed Lenco trim tabs and not Bennet on my boats .The Lenco are very reliable and super fast.The indicator light panel that you can install is really a neat feature as it changes brightness when needed in direct sun.
My mistake but I'm blaiming it on these pain pills I'm on awaiting back surgery in a week----can't come quick enough!!!
It's nice not to have to run hydraulic pump and lines.They install very easy.