Trim tabs question

tuan

Reaction score
I have a 1990 25' Sailfish. Just had it for one season. The trim tabs worked fine during the season, but I only took her out about 10 times and slipped in the Cheasepaeke. On the last run to the marina, I noticed I was not able to keep her bow trimmed enough in rough water. When I checked the movement, I only see about three inches of up-and-down on the hydrolic arms. Not knowing how much they should move, I have nothing to compare with.

If the movement is inhibited by being dirty, or otherwise obstructed, can they be taken apart and cleaned?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.
Tuan

catch22

Reaction score
Here's a link for Bennett's actuators - http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog. ... 8&techID=9

If you click on "schematic", (pdf) and scroll down, they mention that 2 1/2" travel is standard. So what your seeing sounds about right.

Never seen an actuator itself get stuck. The tab (plane) maybe, but I think it would take years of sitting idle, accumulating a lot of rust/crud. The plane and the mounting plate have a fold, (crease) that over-lap each other, forming a hinge. They're also pinched at each end to prevent "slide-out", but there's plenty of free-play, so normal rust, growth and even paint build-up shouldn't restrict them. If there was damage, that somehow pinched another area of the hinge, that would be a problem, but it would only effect that one tab and the boat would lean.

In any event, the best way to check something like this, is to have the boat out of the water and observe the tabs while someone else operates them. If the planes are jammed, you can disconnect the shaft, (bottom of actuator) from the plane, remove the backing plate from the transom, and clean them up. Make sure you re-seal all the mounting screws.

Besides that... you might have a leak, so check the fluid level in the pump. If it were low and had air in the system, that would allow the actuators to retract somewhat, while under a load. Check the line connections, (pump and actuators) as well as the cylinder area itself... again, while someone else operates the tabs. I've seen leaks right at the top of the acutator that simply required tightening the cylinder, (clock-wise) by hand.

Anything different from the other times you used the boat? Were your motors trimmed down all the way? Any changes in weight... people on-board, seated at the stern? Rear fuel tank full, front tank empty?

tuan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I will get another person to help with the trouble shooting.

The conditions on the bay that day was rougher than I've been out on. In addition, I was by myself, looking for a new marina, and my sounder was not cooperating. So I'm sure the combination of these factors must have heightened my sensitivity to the boat's ride.

For the winter, I've already pulled the boat so I'll have to wait a few months for another sea trial. In the mean time, I'll be sure to go through your list of suggestions to rule everything out.

Tuan

gw204

Reaction score
What props are you running? In my opinion, the 25' Sailfish NEEDS large diameter, stern lifting props if to really run right. I know it made a night and day difference in mine.

catch22

Reaction score
tuan said:
The conditions on the bay that day was rougher than I've been out on. In addition, I was by myself, looking for a new marina, and my sounder was not cooperating. So I'm sure the combination of these factors must have heightened my sensitivity to the boat's ride.

If it were rougher than anything you've been out in before, that may very well be the case. There's only so much the tabs can do, to smooth out the ride.

Something else you might want to consider is, what size are your tabs? I think a 90 Sailfish should have 9 x 18's, (or even 12 x 18's). If you only have 9 x 12's, you could simply change out the planes, (actuators are the same) provided there's enough room.
Here's a link for their sizing chart - http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/trimtabkits.php?cID=1
Scroll down for "instalation requirements" and click on the diagrams to show the necessary clearences.

One thing though... I do not agree with their sizing chart recomendations. Imo, they're over-kill. I would not go over an 18" span on your boat.