trim tilt remote control switch

landingsbob

Reaction score
I have a 2001 200 hp Yamaha with a 705 remote control throttle flush mounted onto the "dash" of my 1993 Seafarer with a tilt/trim switch. The switch on the motor itself works fine but the remote switch on the 705 handle only works in the down position. I assume I have to install a new switch but a friend of mine said it may just need a shot of anti corrosion. Any thoughts and how difficult is it to install a new switch. Any helpful suggestions/instructions would be most appreciated. Thanks. Bob

catch22

Reaction score
For some reason Yamahaparts.com does not show a single binicale, (flush mount) remote control, but you can use their dual control for most parts, including the trim/tilt switch.
#39 - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

Remove the screws in the plastic handle and it will seperate, giving you access to the switch. There's a rubber block, (#thirty eight) that sits behind the switch, (it keeps the switch in place). Don't be alarmed if the block falls out... it's just pressed into a pocket. The switch has 3 wires that loop around the base of the control lever. If you want to replace the switch you have 2 choices, remove the control lever, (rubber boot and 2 screws) and trace the wires to their connection below the control box, or.... cut and splice, (crimp connectors) a few inch's down from the switch, (I used this method over a year ago and it's been fine). Use sealent on the connectors.

You might want to trace the switch's 3 wires anyway, (under the control box)... to make sure it's not a bad connection, (switch might be ok). You could also jump 12 volts to each leg, to prove it's the switch.

I don't recall if that switch has any exposed areas where an electrical contact cleaner could be used, but it's definitely worth trying. I do know that the one on the motor can be completely disassembled and cleaned.

Good luck.

mhff34

Reaction score
I had same problem on my 208. I took the switch apart and cleaned the metal contact, very simple never had a problem afterwards.

seasick

Reaction score
mhff34 said:
I had same problem on my 208. I took the switch apart and cleaned the metal contact, very simple never had a problem afterwards.

Same here. Took out the switch, oppened it up, cleaned the contacts and good to go ( 2nd season so far)