trip from Cape Cod to Boston

Reaction score
I just purchased a Grady White Gulfstream and plan to be traveling back and forth from Cape Cod to Boston Harbor. I was wondering if any one has made this trip, what I can expect, any advise, cautions, how Gulfstream handles in open waters?

Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is a good ride. The south side can choppy in the afternoon. Other than that, just try to go with the tide thru the canal and you will be fine.

lgusto

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with Fishtales. We've run our Gulfstream from Bar Harbor Maine to Nantucket and the Vineyard via the canal. The boat can handle that trip with ease in just about any weather you'd dare go out in, especially with all the safe harbors along the way. Just pick your weather days for a comfortable ride, i.e. anything westerly will minimize fetch. Not sure why you're traveling to Boston, but if you have time spend a night at the Marblehead town dock. It has awesome facilities and is in walking distance to stores and restaurants.

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I bought my Gulfstream in Duxbury a couple of years ago and brought it home to RI through the canal. I had radar installed prior to the trip and it was the best decision I ever made. We were in think fog with almost zero visibility almost the entire ride. The boat handled the trip very well. Good luck.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Agree with previous posts - Buzzards Bay can be tough too - do it early and watch the winds - SW are good on the ride from Boston to the canal but they are a killer in buzzards Bay - The Gulfstream can handle it but it will be slow going if BB is acting up.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Make sure you understand Woodshole before you go through it. Once you are in the middle of it is not the time to figure it out.

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tashmoo said:
Make sure you understand Woodshole before you go through it. Once you are in the middle of it is not the time to figure it out.

X2 :goodjob

ScottM

Reaction score
Watch the west end of the canal especially if you've got a strong SW wind against a dropping (west) tide. I've been through 6-8 footers at that end and it's not fun.

capeboter

Reaction score
I make that trip a couple of times each summer. scottm,Tashmoo and legend all offer great advice. Heading from Falmouth to Boston in the morning should be a great ride thru Woods Hole and Buzzards Bay but as Tashmoo stated make sure your familiar with Woods Hole. I'm probably telling you something you already know but going thru Woods Hole is red, right, return into Buzzards Bay. Sorry just have to state it because I've seen a number of seasoned boaters forget that in there. From Woods Hole to the canal put the Grn 11 on your butt and head for the Red 2 in at the beginning of Hog Island channel, about 11 miles. Make your way into the canal, enjoy the scenery, if you go thru the canal at the posted speed expect the transit to take about an hour, depending on current and traffic. From the east end of the canal make a shot to the #12 buoy off Manomet. From Manomet head northerly across Plymouth Bay, past Saquish Island then along Duxbury Beach to red #6 Farnham Rock buoy. From Farnham Rock head to Grn 1DL off Minot Light, this will take you by Scituate and Cohasset. From Minot Light it is a straight shot into Nantasket Roads. Once in Nantasket Roads follow the charts closely to go thru Quincy Bay into Boston Harbor. There are multiple channels to follow. Should take about 3 1/2 hours or so. Plus you have multiple safe harbors to duck into along the way if you have to.

Enjoy the ride and maybe we'll see you in Falmouth or Buzzards Bay during the summer.
Mike

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise. I made the trip last weekend and it was a beauiful trip and fun experience. I will be returning within the next few weeks to my mooring on the Cape. :goodjob