Truck for pulling a 228 Seafarrer

MDRookie01

Reaction score
I am ready to get my Truck now.. Going for a Quad Cab or Super Crew, just cant decide which motor..

I love the 5.7 Dodge 1500 Hemi.. Could I manage with the 4.7 1500? Or the F150 5.3L?

The 4.7 would save me a ton of money, but it is worth it with potential issues I might have? Anyone one I put up with be setup for Towing..

Any Suggustions?

88 228G with 99 225 Yamaha..

mjtyszki

Reaction score
My 1500 with the 5.7 tows my offshore at about 60 to 65 while taching about 3 grand while pulling about 8 to 9 miles to the gallon. I am not certain I would feel comfortable towing the 4.7. I have towed with the Ford 5.4 and it tows alright but there is a definate difference in the way the truck accelerates and maintains speed.

The 5.7 with 3.92s in my opinion would be the way to go. But if you are going to save money by going the the 4.7 I would not hesitate as long as you are not towing in hill country or long distances.

If you are buying used, a lot of times the dealer will let you take the truck for a day to use at your will as an extended test drive. Ask them if they will let you do that with the 4.7 and just tow your boat around for an hour or so and see where you are comfortable. If they wont allow that it may also be worth it to rent a similar truck from enterprise or something like that. 40 to 50 bucks for a day to let you know what truck is right for you is well worth it... Good Luck!