Trying to post pictures of new Tournament 225

catesbay

Reaction score
If anyone is able to access pictures please let me know. I have a white blemish in one of the vinyl windows and was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. Also one of my Deka batteries had a bad cell
after the 10 hour breakin. Has now been replaced on warranty. Apparently Grady has had a few problems with Deka.

Thanks. Steve.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Looks nice. I noticed that GW has changed the rear bimini support so that the fish forward fish rod holder is not blocked by the enclosure. Either that or they moved the rod holders back.

The 225 on the GW web site has them ahead of the bimin hardware.

Nice boat. Did you get the helm chair/helm covers custom made locally?

How is the perormance/economy with the F250?

catesbay

Reaction score
GWcpa said:
Looks nice. I noticed that GW has changed the rear bimini support so that the fish forward fish rod holder is not blocked by the enclosure. Either that or they moved the rod holders back.

The 225 on the GW web site has them ahead of the bimin hardware.

Nice boat. Did you get the helm chair/helm covers custom made locally?

How is the perormance/economy with the F250?
I am not sure about rod holder move or not. I had a 1996 192 Tournament, it was not a problem. I bought the boat from a dealer in FL and he had to covers made to my specs. I shipped the boat to Bellingham WA and ran up to Vancouver, B.C. Canada and put the boat in dryland storage for winter so do not have any real fuel/economy stats yet.
Were you able to see the last photo with the white vinyl blemish?

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It looks great! I just bought a 225 myself - I don't get to play with it until spring though... :(

Aside from the battery, how's yours working out? I would love to hear anything you have to say about it.

Which engine did you get?

Have a blast with it!

catesbay

Reaction score
Slingshot said:
It looks great! I just bought a 225 myself - I don't get to play with it until spring though... :(

Aside from the battery, how's yours working out? I would love to hear anything you have to say about it.

Which engine did you get?

Have a blast with it!

As I said in one of the replies I have put the boat away for winter so have not had a lot of time on it (which is killing me!) I ran the boat about 80 miles from Bellingham WA to Vancouver, B.C. Canada and it was a huge difference from my 1996 Tournament 192. I think the quality of materials and finish has improved greatly. I was amazed how comfortable the boat road and performed as I was heading straight into a 15 to 20 knot wind at times with 2 - 4 ft. seas cruising at about 20 - 25 mph. The boat has the Yamaha F250 4 stroke and I think I am going to get better fuel performance than the 1996 Yamaha 150 2 stroke. Not much more to report but I do not think you will be disappointed with your choice of Grady.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm so stoked I can't freakin' stand it... :D We have the same engine, so your report is very welcome.

What did you decide to do with electronics? I just ordered a Garmin4210 with their GSD22 digital sounder for fish finding. It seems like the largest unit that will fit in the electronics box comfortably. The dealer encouraged me to use a through-hull transducer with temp and depth, but a flush mounted one which is internally adjusted for the 20 degree deadrise. I had planned to use a "shoot through the hull" style transducer, but they talked me out of it.

Do you have a feeling for what kind of VHF antenae makes sense for the boat? The photos on the grady site show the big 8' shakespeare, but that seems like overkill for me in the Long Island Sound...

Hurry up summer....

GWcpa

Reaction score
Slingshot,

You are going to use a thru hull xducer with temp? Why not a transom tri ducer with speed temp :?:

I would either use the shoot thru with a speed temp on the transom or a triducer on the transom. Either should work well, unless you want a 1K or 2K ducer for the GSD22.

I would also definately use an 8 foot digital or high end Shake.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat lives on a mooring all summer - I have had transom mounted tranducers and I won't do it again. At least where i am they get destroyed by barnacles regardles off the tranducer paint they sell for them. Last boat I switched to a shoot - through and it seemed to work fine. No doubt about the lack of crap on it anyway.

My dealer seems confident that a through hull will not experience the same problems but I am suspicious. They point out that the Yamaha AND the GPS are giving me speed. I know the paddle wheel gizmos that I have had in the past are garbage, so I don't feel that I need that.

The one I have ordered is a B60. I am game for any observations, except fot the transom mount thing. I just found it to be a never ending headache.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Understand. I like the paddle wheel because it will register acurate slow speeds thru the water, not just SOG. The Yamaha pitot will not be much good for slow speed. I use the paddle wheel for trolling speed fishing for stripers.

With the Garmin you can select xducer or GPS speed.

If speed and temp are not of use to you, I would use a shoot thru. On my 232 I removed the triducer and installed a shoot thru. It held the bottom at all speeds. I did miss the temp though, but you will have that.

The 4212 is a great unit, I would think, based on my 4208.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You have a good point - I probably would use the tranducer speed for trolling. I will have to suffer without though. I would prefer the shoot through, but then I wouldn't have temp either.

I have been wondering why someone doesn't make a transom mount tranducer that pivots up on an arm or bracket so that it is only wet when you want to use it... Another chance to make a million.

On the chartplotter, I played with the 5200 series touch screens and they are very cool. A bunch more money though, and I was worried about longevity in an open cockpit - even with the electronics box. I am glad to hear that you like the 4208. Do you have the G2 vision card? Any opinions about it?

Thanks.

GWcpa

Reaction score
I did not get the G2 card. At first I placed the order for it, but the electronics seller said I would not use it, except to show guest the gee wiz factor.

Dont get me wrong, I would still like to have it, I just put the $$ toward other stuff.

The GSD22 does work great though.

Just a thought, but on the triducer the paddlewheel is removable in case barnacles are a concern. Otherwise you can paint the duce with the same anti fouling paint you would use on a thru hull.

If I installed a TH ducer I would go ahead and get one the utilizes the high power capability of the GSD22. With transom mount it limits it to 500W.

Look forward to seeing pics of your new boat.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The B60 through-hull that I ordered is a 600w dual frquency (50 and 200 Khz) - the 1kw transducers are the next step up for ALOT more money and it sounds like they only benefit the deep water folks. I am in the Long Island sound where we will never see water deeper than a few hundred feet.

I do have the G2 card on order...sometime in the spring I will post a thorough review of the whole package. After blowing the money on the 4210 and the GSD22 and the transducer, the extra $200 seemed like one of those "what the hell / might as well" sort of things.

What did you do for a VHF antenae?

Also - did you crank up the stereo? I assume they are all the same kenwood unit? Do the two speakers provide enough sound for the boat while cruising? Its killing me that I can't test all of this stuff out...

GWcpa

Reaction score
Good point on the $$ for the ducers. Again not worth it if you are not fishing a lot.

I have an 8 foot Shakespeare located next to the helm. I added a 4 channel Clarion marine amp and rear polyplanar box speakers. The Amp helps a lot, but was not that bad with just the head unit and front kenwood speakers. I may add a sub this year. Had on on my 232 and it made a big difference.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get out of town! That sounds like a cool set up. I figured I would test out the stereo as delivered before I start figuring out more ways to throw money at this thing...

One thought that has been on my mind since our last boat is that I might want a loudspeaker for the VHF. We had a nice radio in our last boat, but sometimes couldn't hear friends hailing us if we were underway. Maybe the 250 Yammi is so quiet this won't be an issue, but the way our kids make noise...you could fail to notice a nuclear blast...yeesh.

PMD 205

Reaction score
Where did you happen to get your console and chair covers? Are they custom made? I saw a console cover similar to that on a Scout and wanted to get something similar for protection when I have my side curtains down during the summer.