Tuna fishing novice... suggested books/videos

townvet

Reaction score
I will be spending the off season trying to learn how to Tuna fish. Any suggested books/videos to start. I am not new to fishing...just never bigger game.

My Grady is a fishing machine...it is time I put her to the test.

Rhumbline

Reaction score
Be careful if you start tuna fishing. Once you hookup life will never be the same. Make sure you are ready for this life change. It has the potential to ruin you. It has ruined me :p

Tuna fishing can be somewhat regional in tactics and presentations.

I fish east of Boston.

A great general book is 'Tuna: An Angler's Guide to a Great Gamefish'.

I have found local boards, such as reel-time or First Light Anglers board very informative - lots of local information on technique, etc. Seach the archives and you will read for hours, days, etc.

Good luck and be ready to toss everything aside for this most addicting fishing.

fastal

Reaction score
goto first light anglers in Rowley Mass; those guys are the local experts and can get you on the right track. they love to talk tuna so stop by the shop and hang out. keep an eye on their website too; they co-sponser an event in january called Tuna Mania at the red hook brewery. a good book, though a bit out of date, is called Tuna by Capt. Bill Smith.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Totally agree with Rhumbline. After the first hookup life is over as you know it today. There is a good book called "Tuna A Love Affair" that can help

232 GULF

Reaction score
Rhumbline is spot-on. My father and I started tuna fishing this past summer for the first time and it is certainly life-changing. Early in the summer we hooked up and fought a 400 pounder for over an hour and lost it 30-40 feet from the boat. We were hooked to say the least. The couple thousand dollars a big enough fish is worth doesn't help the addiction either :shock: . We have learned mostly everything through talking to guys at the marina. We also booked a tuna charter for a day solely as a learning experience. It helped A LOT. Don't know of any books or DVDs but definitely start talking to guys at your local marina/bait shop. Good luck :D

Fishtales

Reaction score
This is what I was told by a local charter capt.
Hire a local mate for a day on your boat versus a charter. Likely a couple of hundred. First day have him work with you on setting up the boat for you and going over the equipment and technique for your local area. Head out in your boat for a day on the water and get some experience.
If you have a buddy video the whole thing....

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales said:
This is what I was told by a local charter capt.
Hire a local mate for a day on your boat versus a charter. Likely a couple of hundred. First day have him work with you on setting up the boat for you and going over the equipment and technique for your local area. Head out in your boat for a day on the water and get some experience.
If you have a buddy video the whole thing....

Ditto

townvet

Reaction score
IN the latest issue of TIME magazine there is an article on Tuna over fishing etc.. I found it very interesting and of course troubling. I hope that sustainable practices take hold so sport fishing can contine

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So how does one enforce other countries "overfishing"?

The rec. fisherman isn't going to hurt the tuna #'s at 1 fish 27"-47" and 1 fish at 47" 72" and 1 giant for the season.

232 GULF

Reaction score
Also...try OnTheWater.com or pick up one of their magazines from the summer months. I subscribe and they always have good info on all kinds of fishing.