Type of Paint to use for Bracket?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone ever figured out the right type of paint to use on the outboard bracket like used on the Sailfish models?

I have a section on the bottom of my bracket that was corroded up under the paint, so I peeled/scraped it off to open up and clean out all the salt and corrosion.

Now, I need to get the etching primer and proper primer/paint to recoat.

The paint I removed was extremely tought stuff! Very thick and very hard to tear off. I assume this might have been something like Awlgrip type paint or at least that is where I am leaning into.

I believe it has to be a 2 part urethane type paint to be this tough.
I was reading about the Awlgrip vs Awlcraft and seems the Awlgrip is more towards a thick coating that would be more durable as it can not be polished, whereas the Awlcraft can be polished. The paint on the bracket now does not like any effort to try and polish, so thinking it might be the same type chemical as the Awlgrip.

Anyone been through this before? I just have a small section on the bottom of the bracket to paint and attempt to blend in some.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
People have had mixed results doing what you're doing, be sure to clean off all corrosion so the primer has a good bond. As far as anti-fouling, don't use anythig that's copper based, it will say safe for Aluminum.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Forgot to mention, will not use bottom paint. Just removed it all from the hull and getting ready to gelcoat. I trailer only so no issue with bottom paint. Hope someone has attempted to repaint or repair the paint on their bracket and has some ideas here.

RJTFD

Reaction score
The paint that is on the Grady brackey from the factory is powder coated. I'm starting to have the same problem with mine as I can see where it is starting to bubble in areas and is eventually going to spread. I think water got under it somehow and is causng the aluminum to corrode and bubble the paint. Eventually I plan on stripping it down to the metal and probably going to awlgrip it. I'm waiting to see results from someone else to see how it comes out I dont want it to look half assed in the end. Awlgrip makes a color that will match the factory finish. Let me know how you make out I would like to know results.
Good Luck

rml2112

Reaction score
On my 228G I had to grind and sand the old coating off. blend out the ares of slight corrosion ,I used Interlux Viny-lux Primewash primer and then a top coat. The only other way to paint bare aluminum would be to acid etch such as alodine then prime and topcoat.

bob