Understanding Progressive insurance options

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, deciding what options to get on overages with Progressive. I do not believe in "going cheap" but I also do not want to get more than I need.

Anyone have any tips?

By the way, I spoke to NBOA and when he asked if I had any other quotes, I said yes, with Progressive and before I could get another word in about how it was with a 282 not the 270, he had "someone walk into his office.. I should probably take the progressive deal"...and did not get any quote.

Russ

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check out Gallagher Charter Lakes - I provided the contact info in an earlier post about boat insurance. I've found them to be less $$ than the others- last year I did an extensive apples-to-apples comparison and they were 1/3 lower then the next lowest price. And they provide good service...

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thank you, I will check them out.

R

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll second Charter Lakes. I switched over to them last year after Boat US jacked up my rate after 8 years with no claims and a depreciating boat value.

They offer very flexible policies that include towing and engine breakdown coverage at really good rates.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I sent her an email. Will see what she replies with.

Thanks!

R

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I use USAA/Progressive. I have a declared value policy. Two years ago this spring I repowered my boat with a new 4.2liter Yamaha F250. Six weeks later I was at my brother's house in Florida and my motor was stolen off the boat in his front yard. Progressive bought me a new motor and they were great. I don't know how much I can save but I know how well I was treated when I truly needed them. Sometimes in life you get what you pay for and sometimes it's worth paying a little bit more.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh, agreed. Not going for cheaper, just trying to compare policies rather than settle for Progressive. I have my homeowners and cars through them, but I am trying to have at least one comparison.. cannot believe the NBOA guy literally blew me off after asking if I had gotten any other quote. You would have thought I asked his sister out or something.

Anyway, will wait for the email from the other place. Also waiting on a call back from the place in NC that makes Grady tops.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay... let's put all things aside.. heh.. I need some real input on this part.. lol..

I just got the quote from April at Charter Lakes and.. holy cow... $769 a year?

Progressive is like $2,300 a year.

I REALLY have to wonder if this is a real thing because that, to be honest, worries the heck out of me there is such a desparity between the two.

I am waiting to see why her policy does not list a Named Storm deductible, common in Texas and with Progressive.

I like the lower price, but .. wow...

Russ

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found the same price disparity with Geico or Progressive compared to GCL. I asked about the named storm haul out and April told me because they consider it "trailerable" the coverage is not included. She could get quotes from other companies at higher rates that include the haul out but I elected to roll the dice and go for the as-quoted policy. I used them for years with my Black Watch and then my 265 but I never had a claim so I can't speak to the way they handle claims. I left them for a few years and went to Sea Insure, part of Sea Tow, but when you factor in the mandatory membership in Sea Tow, which I didn't want, their cost was higher than GCL- but they did include the haul out. GCL is an agent- they will tell you who the policy will be with - mine is with XL Specialty Insurance Company, which is rated A+ superior. I hope all of us never need them!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I do not see myself ever needing the haul-out because I do not plan to ever leave my boat on the coast. the only named storm around my house is my w.. er.. people.. lol :p

R

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check out Markel Ins Co as well. Just gotta shop it around.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll have to check with GCL when mine comes due again. Currently with Gieco and it seems reasonable. Been with them since '17. Come to think of it, renewal is next month. Guess I need to put a call in to GCL.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I learned about Charter Lakes from The Hull Truth, where they are very well regarded. I was also worried about their low rates, but everybody says that their service is excellent. I am only paying $692 for $39,000 agreed value with their Anglers Choice policy. That includes trailer coverage and $2,500 towing. Not bad for a hurricane zone.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I went with Charter. They came in at $769 a year for the exact same coverage as Progressive at almost $2,900 a year.

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Progressive's & Geico's pricing have been way out of line for two years, trying to make up for large 2017 losses.