Unknown plug on panel

ThemApples

Reaction score
There is a plug on my instument panel which I'm not sure what it is for and hoping someone here knows.

It looks like a 12v accessory plug, however, it is a smaller diameter and it has a metal cover which screws over it. It is located near the light switch.

This is on a 1980 204 Fisherman.

Any ideas?

seasick

Reaction score
Is the metal cover flat or dommed with cutouts on its side. The 'outlet' might be a lamp socket.

ThemApples

Reaction score
It is flat sst with threads to screw in. The cap is about 3/8" thick. It appears to be a fairly serious piece of hardware. There are 2 brass contacts inside the plug.

ThemApples

Reaction score
Could it be for a radio? Or, is there another size for a cigarette plug different from the current universal plug in most vehicles?

seabob4

Reaction score
ThemApples said:
Could it be for a radio? Or, is there another size for a cigarette plug different from the current universal plug in most vehicles?

Have you put a meter on it to see if it actually has power? Seeing as you are probably not the original owner, and the boat is fairly old, it may be a power supply for some unknown piece of equipment that has long since been discarded...
Shruggingshoulders.gif

no problem

Reaction score
I filled a trashcan with extra plugs,receptacles and wires from my boat. I had one that sounds like what you are describing. It was either part of an auto pilot or an auxiliary microphone. Maybe it was part of an old-school handheld spotlight. Either way it sleeps with the fishes now! I figure if its not on the boat it will never short out.

seabob4

Reaction score
no problem said:
I filled a trashcan with extra plugs,receptacles and wires from my boat. I had one that sounds like you are describing. It was either part of an auto pilot or an auxiliary microphone. Maybe it was part of an old-school handheld spotlight. Either way it sleeps with the fishes now! I figure if its not on the boat it will never short out.

cheersemoticon.gif
cheersemoticon.gif

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like the plug on my dash. Mine has a pair of 10guage leads that go directly to a 20A fuse. The handheld spotlight plugs into it.