Updating stereo on boat 228

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Had a great weekend installing the new stereo stuff. Had some surprises both good and bad.

bad surprise is I found out this morning how to get it all worked . Good surprise is my boat had a Garmin NEMA backbone installed already. You might ask ,how in the heck did you not that Bob? Well, when I bought the boat I had the dealer install all the electronics.

So,when got the Garmin GXM 54 receiver all I had to do is remove an old Nema 2000 GPS antenna and replace it with the GXM antenna. I had to add a Garmin Network expander to add the XM weather functionality along with my radar .

The speaker install went well as well as the Fusion Apollo mx 670 any where receiver. I ended up mounting it up top in the ebox to connect into the Garmin Nema backbone. I had issues with subscribing to XM and it turns out I had to get better view of the sky . Also , once I solved that issue I had no audio .

Fusion has crummy instructions. You drive the system through an AP on the phone.. my fishing buddy Ben loaded the AP on his phone and turned a bunch on Inputs or sources to on. I could not get FM or XM or anything to play other than the blue tooth. This morning I got this Epiphany of sorts and went into the AP and turned all sources off but XM. Voila success! Out came 80s on 8 and Don't you forget about me!

The speakers sound great if not amazing and the built in class D amp in the Fusion with it's 280 watts of peak power is more than enough for the boat . The JL7.7s mostly fit,we had to trim some of the insulation on the fish boxes to get them to fit well. The sound is again solid , especially for a boat. I highly recommend the Fusion head unit and the JL speakers .
Curious to how much insulation you had to trim on the fish boxes. I tried to get the 6.5 JLs to fit and it just wasn’t working after trimming some.

BigD808

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Ended up ditching the inspection plate idea completely, wouldn’t fit in that area no matter how hard I tried. Ended up fabbing some “speaker plates” out of starboard under the gunnel area. I wanted to get the speaker tight as possible to the walk around step up. Anyway still in the mock up stage, but here’s a few pics. I plan on GE almond siliconing every joint in hopes to not have any rattling problems. IMG_0362.jpegIMG_0360.jpeg

BigD808

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Plates finalized, upgraded under gunnel lighting to lumitec. 71420747114__C29C2AEA-B3FC-471C-8197-50630F928A03.jpeg