Upgraded Lowrance Unit

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, in mid-2006 I upgraded from a Lowrance LCX-16Ci to an LCX-19C. Same size, but did a new flush mount and it looked like this. Neat, functional, and the Icom 502 was the back-up radio.

FlushMount8a.jpg

Well, bigger is always better, but going from a 7" display to an 8" is hardly worth the effort. So, I decided to go with the 10" LCX-112C. Of course, this was trying to put ten pounds in a five pound bag... :D

It's not quite as neat and pretty as the previous installation, but here is the new LCX-112C with an LMF-400 next to it. I still need to install the water speed and water temp inputs at the stern, and the two Yamaha engine interface units, but this NMEA 2000 stuff is neat.

NewFlush1.jpg

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice looking install, Brian. Are you using the Lowrance transom-mount temp probe? I will need to add one to my setup, since I plan on adding an M260.

When you bought your M260, did it have a Lowrance connector, or did you have to buy an adapter cable? I still need to decide on where to mount it, too. It's a beast!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Capt Bill said:
Nice looking install, Brian. Are you using the Lowrance transom-mount temp probe? I will need to add one to my setup, since I plan on adding an M260.

When you bought your M260, did it have a Lowrance connector, or did you have to buy an adapter cable? I still need to decide on where to mount it, too. It's a beast!

Hi Bill,

I will be running an NMEA 2000 cable from the helm to the stern. Will be adding a water speed unit, a temperature unit, and two Yamaha Engine Interface units. All data will be available on the LCX-112C and the LMF400.

I bought my Airmar with the Lowrance connector.

The small rotary switch in the lower right on both my flush mounts is a transducer selector. Switches between the big Airmar and a small Lowrance hockey puck that I tried as the first "shoot-thru" experiment. Worked so well that I didn't want to give it up.

Airmar box is forward, near where Grady indicated it should be mounted, i.e. under the companionway steps. It is just a bit forward, and can best be seen if the pie plate at the aft end of the cabin sole is opened.

Brian

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Thats looking really nice Bill. Are you shooting through with the M260? I have seen your previous post and know your happy with it, but can you speak more to the performance? At what depth do you loose bottom offshore? Do you have any problems seeing bait or thermoclinces?

I am debating on a through hull or a shoot through. About 90% of my fishing is in the canyons. My Sailfish is on a trailer, so I would rather do a shoot through, but I don't want to give up performance if makes a difference.
Appreciate your responses.
Ken

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm shooting through the hull forward, with an M256. I have tracked bottom to 2,800-feet east of the Norfolk Canyon, at 50KHz. Usually lose bottom at 700-900 feet at 200KHz.

Haven't had any problem seeing bait or thermoclines. Have picked up tilefish just off the bottom in 300-feet.

Never lose track due to speed.

You will lose some performance, simply due to signal attenutation, but for me it has been fine.

Go for it.

Kenlahr said:
Thats looking really nice (Bill) Brian. Are you shooting through with the M260? I have seen your previous post and know your happy with it, but can you speak more to the performance? At what depth do you loose bottom offshore? Do you have any problems seeing bait or thermoclinces?

I am debating on a through hull or a shoot through. About 90% of my fishing is in the canyons. My Sailfish is on a trailer, so I would rather do a shoot through, but I don't want to give up performance if makes a difference.
Appreciate your responses.
Ken

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Thats what I was hoping to hear; and from someone who fishes deep. Looks like no holes for me. Thanks.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Kenlahr said:
Thats what I was hoping to hear; and from someone who fishes deep. Looks like no holes for me. Thanks.

Same here, although there is a bronze thru-hull transducer already in place, installed on the factory-moulded transducer flat. But the M260 will be going in, with a setup similar to Brian's. In fact Brian, if you have a p/n for the switch you installed, and the Yamaha engine interface, I'd like to replicate your efforts. (Will that interface even work with 2002 F225's?.. hmmm)

Again, good job, as usual. :)

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Capt Bill said:
Same here, although there is a bronze thru-hull transducer already in place, installed on the factory-moulded transducer flat. But the M260 will be going in, with a setup similar to Brian's. In fact Brian, if you have a p/n for the switch you installed, and the Yamaha engine interface, I'd like to replicate your efforts. (Will that interface even work with 2002 F225's?.. hmmm)

Again, good job, as usual. :)

Thanks for the nice comments, Bill.

The transducer selector switch is #46-26, on this page: http://www.lei-extras.com/store/search.asp?SearchType=Category&Category=Transducer+Switch+Boxes

I'm not sure, but I don't think the Yamaha Engine Interface will connect to your engines. I think it connects to the Yamaha Command Link plug, and I'm not sure what year the F225s had those. My F150s are 2006, and I have seen the connectors. Just need to get the interfaces through the rigging tubes, and run the NMEA2000 bus back aft. I will also need to install both water speed and water temp pick-ups, as those will not work with the new LCX-112C. (But I knew that, and purchased it all at once).

The Yamaha Engine Interfaces are on this page, at the bottom.
http://www.lei-extras.com/store/search.asp?SearchType=Category&Category=NMEA+Network Note there are models for the Blue and Red networks. I have a set of interfaces for Blue, and will have to change the end plugs for my Red network. If your network is Blue, and you want these, let me know. (After you find out if they will work).

I'm really looking forward to some good engine info on the LMF-400.

Brian

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tried to get the NMEA interface to my '05 F225 and was told they weren't compatible. Apparently, when Yamaha dropped the model year designation, is also the cutoff for Command Link and as such, the NMEA interface. At least, thats what my dealer told me......

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
...If your network is Blue, and you want these, let me know. (After you find out if they will work).

Brian, I did a quick search and came up with a new product announcement in 2005, that Yamaha Command Link will appear on the 'new' 2006 engines. If I had really thoght about it, I would have known, as there wasn't much NEMA 2000 paricipation when my engines were built.

Thanks for the offer, and the LEI link & part numbers.