Upgrading my ride, experiences needed

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Admiral and I had a discussion and decided to get a larger boat and will be looking early next year. If we found the right one will probably buy it. For now, its just shopping. It will be another Grady. She wants just a bit more room in the cabin and a dryer ride then our 204c.

We will be looking into the seafarer 22ft models, yr 92 + with the seev2 hull. It will be a bracket mounted model. I think I have gained enough exp working on my current ride to pick out the obvous things that need to be looked at. I would like to know from anyone who has owned or worked on these models what to look for other than the obvious. We have a budget of 15k for the new ride. Not much I know and will probably have to do some upgrading to the one we buy and we are fine with that. So, if anyone can enlighten me on certain issues with model/yr to keep a watch out for I would apprectaite it. Will use it as a list to take with me on my initial lookovers. I do intend on using a surveyor.

thanks

Reaction score
Re: Upgrading my ride

I have a 93' explorer 24...... The 22 and 24's are nice economic options because a single engine will work just fine. Some things to look for: Water intrusion--check for discoloration or any soft spots. If looking at walk arounds, check the top deck around the walk around. Check areas around all thru hull fittings. Have plastic thru hull fittings changed to bronze or stainless steel. Check the transom. On boats older than 15 years, not uncommon for gas tanks to go bad and need replacing (just had mine replaced).
Having a surveyor or someone that is experienced (local boat builder/repair guy) is always money well spent. Spending a few bucks could save thousands....If not mechanically inclined, must have a mechanic check out the motor: compression, lower unit, general condition of the motor....Good luck.......

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Upgrading my ride

Thanks br, will do.

If anyone has any comments on the quality of ride and dryness of the 22ft seaferer yr 92+ to 2005. or anything you may have expierienced, let me have the good bad and ugly from you diy guys.

Thanks much.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I owned the boat in question for 10 years, 22 bracketed Seafarer 250 Yamaha, circa 1992.
Neat boat. A great all-purpose rig; trailerable yet big enough to go out a ways given reasonable conditions. Slept 2 comfortably in the berth and it looked great too.
Ride..I would call it adequate to good, not great for a 22 footer. It slammed in a head or quartering sea over 2 foot. Tabs are a MUST,(Although I think they are standard) Use of tabs and trim helped, although did not cure the ride. It was too wet in my opinion, especially in a quartering wind driven sea.
The good stuff? Anything 2 foot or below was fine. It is also importent for me to add that it was quite stable on the drift. It would drift stern-to mostly, but it was stable in beam seas too.

All-around good boat, but I doubt it'll be a lot different than your 20 footer. I went to my current 232 and the difference was unbeliveable.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 204C is an incredible boat all in a 20 ft package, the 22 24 and last the 26 ft Islander all trailerable 8ft 6 in beam or less and single engine capable as economic options.

Every boat any model any year more than a few years old go to local boat restoration guy and ask if he has done Grady stringers and transoms, decks, if so hire him to check out the boat. I no longer recommend any SAMS surveyors for such boats. Make sure you find a larger boat restoration guy (not backyard guys) there are several in Jersey. The motor get checked by a Yamaha mechanic - ask for a written prepurchase evaluation may involve a land test and may include a sea trial but not necessarily so, discuss with mechanic.

The motor if it gets wrecked will cost $15K in total to replace, so it's important considering the budget you have for boat and motor. For older motors I always recommend finding a running motor be picked up with no rush then use it to replace in total or grab parts. It can fit in the corner of a garage and not notice it under ventilated tarp.

There are a ton of 204Cs out there readily sellible and readily bought, very few of the 22 ft models you are looking for particular in transom layout. Make sure the Admiral is in the cabin of the 22 ft as I would imagine is not much more considering same beam and part of length goes to cockpit. I would say there are more 24 ft Offshores or whatever the model name became and as such may make for better deals (if the supply is there) and a substantial increase on the cabin and ride but as well heavier on fuel consumption, towing, or marina slip fees. The larger 22s and up are many times factory equipped with hardtops which is preferred by many.