US flag size and proper placement on 282 sailfish

west32

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just picked up a 282 sailfish and trying to figure out size and placement of US flag

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i have a wooden flag poke and a 16x24 flag. The pole sits in the middle rocket launcher it is secured with a wire tie through a hole drilled the bottom of the pole. The wire tie simply goes around the bottom cross bar in the rocket launcher. if you do not secure it, the flag and pole with fly out at high speeds.

Reactions: RussGW270

seasick

Reaction score
This probably doesn't help at all. Quoted form Chapman's 'bible' of seamanship.

The U.S. ensign is proper for all U.S. yachts, without reservation. This is "Old Glory," with 50 stars and 13 stripes. All boats, when at anchor, fly it from the stern staff, if so equipped, only while occupied. It is flown from the stern staff of powerboats underway on inland waters. If the powerboat has a mast and gaff, the proper display is at the gaff. On a sports fisherman, where a stern staff would be in the way of the action, the practice is to fly the ensign from a halyard rigged just behind the tuna tower.

I agree that the stern of the boat is appropriate for a smaller pleasure power boat but unless you are in a parade or regatta, if will get in the way when fishing.
I am not a big fan of flags mounted in antennas on the hardtop or a gunnel but a lot of folks do that. The larger the flag, more stress placed on the antenna. There are mast poles available that are stronger that can be mounted on the hardtop as long as the area you mount it is ranforced for the load.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
All boats, when at anchor, fly it from the stern staff, if so equipped, only while occupied. It is flown from the stern staff of powerboats underway on inland waters. If the powerboat has a mast and gaff, the proper display is at the gaff. On a sports fisherman, where a stern staff would be in the way of the action, the practice is to fly the ensign from a halyard rigged just behind the tuna tower.

Mine does not get in the way of fishing, even when trolling 6 lines. Flying it is more important than a little inconvenience to me...
Grady Cockpit.jpg

Reactions: Zebulon and mhinch

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
As seen in my profile pic I fly a 2’x3’' from the rocket launcher. If only flying the ensign it goes in the middle holder which is centerline on my boat, if flying in company with another flag the US flag goes to the starboard and the other to port. If in a parade with a bunch of flags the US flag is centerline up top and the others are in the hardtop upright rod holders port and starboard - but lower than - the US flag. I know there's various rules of etiquette but conditions sometimes dictate what we can do and the one rule I am sure to never violate is having anything flying higher than the ensign.

All of my flag poles came from https://coolwaterproducts.com/collections/boating-boat-flag-poles-rod-holder, they're rated for something like 70mph and have bases that fit the rod holders. As mentioned, I made a safety tether from a short length of bungee and a clip that attaches to the bottom of the rod holder and secures the flag pole.

Last edited:

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I put my flag staff in the center rocket launcher rod holder. I think it’s like a 20” flag

Reactions: Zebulon

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd get a 2X3 and a pole in the hardtop rod holders.