used Explorer question

bowhntr209

Reaction score
New member and ready to finally pull the trigger on my dream boat. I am looking for a post '92 GW explorer 246G. Question I'm wrestling with is do I buy one with older power and take chances with outboard holding up, or buy one with blown outboard and re-power new. Will a '92+ transom hold a heavy 250 4stroke and will boat balance out with additional weight? I found a '93 Explorer with a hard top and a Grady bracket. No power, no trailer, very clean and structurally sound. Any thoughts on a ballpark of what it might be worth? Anybody gone through the process of re-powering? Thx.

offshore

Reaction score
Call Grady White They are boat builders ur not. Do take a chance. Great boats but do your homework first.

Adam

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A little old but I did alot of resaearch on repowering my 1994 Explorer which might help you. I bought it as a non runner and gave it a total makeover.
With twin original 2 stroke 150s the scuppers are already partially under water, not by much but enough not to want them any deeper. About 410lbs each or so. Both motors sit totally out the water when trimmed up.
A single 4 stroke would be fine weight wise but twin 4 strokes would probably be too much in my opinion as i feel the 1994 hull I have was not designed with the extra weight in mind. 60-100 lbs does not sound like much but it has a significant affect when that far back on the boat.
Another thing to be aware of is this hull with the bracket swamps the motors slightly when you come off the plane again avoiding ther extra weight helps alleviate this.
I bought 2 two stroke leftover 150s for $7500 each earlier this year and even though they use more fuel and oil than the f150s they go like stink, bolt straight on, weigh the right amount and suit the hull perfectly. Cruise about 1.5nmpg 30-32mph. Could nt be happier with the set up.