Vasoline on the hull?

Reaction score
Heard from a retired commercial fisherman that spreading a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the hull was a good trick to prevent anything from growing on the hull during the season. Can't imagine how much vasoline this would take but I'm curious whether you guys think there is any merrit to this or if its garbage.

seasick

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
its called a barrier coat

Tabasco or chili pepper will work with paint also
An old wive's tale. The pepper/chili powder does't work. OK, maybe for a few hours.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Vaseline might provide some protection on wooden displacement hulls. But it would wash off of a fiberglass planning hull very quickly.

An old wive's tale. The pepper/chili powder does't work. OK, maybe for a few hours.

Yep. Only mammals have receptors for capsaicins, the "heat" compounds in peppers. Wild pepper seeds are spread by birds. The capsaicin keeps mammals from eating the fruit. Microorganisms are not affected by capsaicin. Tabasco sauce has anti-microbial properties, but only at very high concentrations.

Chili pepper or Tabasco might keep the seals away from your hull if they are a problem in your area. :D

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
FUNNY

We just painted my buddies boat and added a crap load of tabasco, like 1/2 to 1

no marine growth

so i guess it does not work then

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Desitin (the diaper rash stuff) works great and stays on for years. The zinc oxide in it keeps anything from growing. I have first hand experience with it and it does actually work!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
jekyl said:
Are you guys suggesting this instead of bottom paint or as well?

Can't speak for the others, but we often keep the boat in the water for a few weeks at a time in the summer. I'll put a thin coat of Desitin on the underside of the trim tabs and in the parts of the motor mounts below the water line where there is no bottom paint. It make clean-up much easier when the boat's back on the trailer.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Aren't these stories a day early?