View from Marlin Helm

RocknTroll

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm looking at upgrading to a larger offshore boat. The Marlin would fit all of my needs. I have always had super dependable Yammy's, and I prefer GW over the Whalers and many others but the windshield frame, pipe structure and curtain seems on the Marlin appear to block much vision from the helm. Am I over thinking this? Can any Marlin owner's comment?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have an 06 Marlin. Yam F250s. Never an issue or breakdown. Dealer maintained with a proactive schedule on some things. I leave the small plastic over the windshield on 100% of time (except during storage). 5'9" no issues with top of windshield maybe a prob for taller folks but I doubt it. Pipes no issues prob over thinking that one. Earlier than 2004 (I think) have a lower windshield. That may be an issue for some folks but never rode in one. I keep all the curtains up during boating season. I leave the small plastic ones over the windshield in place 100% of time. Others (side and aft), I rollup except in foul weather. I keep them all down on the hook or at the dock. I would ride in one or at least stand at the helm to ensure your ok with it.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

RocknTroll

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I looked at an older one than yours, curtains in really bad shape. The cabin is smaller than others but it will just be my dog and me so I'm surer I can make that work. Just one more question, if you crank up the AC in the birth and have all the curtains down does any cool air enter helm area?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm in the NE and I've only used the AC a handful of times. It does a good job in the cabin, but without modifications to get air into the helm and a larger unit I don't think it is enough.
The hull hasn't changed much if at all over the years, same with cabin dimensions. They redesigned and moved things around a bit, but basically the same boat from the 1990s. Well proven design.
You can get a new enclosure set from A&J Canvas in Vanceboro for about $3K, ask for Lee. You should ship your old set down to them as a pattern if getting a new set. Get the Strataglass and the Stamoid for a few hundred more. If you take em down, wash them. store indoors for the off season, then clean and polish the glass in the spring, you'll get many years (10+) out of them.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

RocknTroll

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fishtales thanks for all the great info. I just looked into Strataglass, sounds like the way to go and it can be rolled up unlike Eisenglass on other boats. They also mentioned using IMAR protectant on it for long life. Mostly thanks for the info on being able to see well around the pipe structure, window frames etc., that was a show stopper for me initially. When I joined this forum I was set on getting a GW 330 Express but after going to look at one it was more than I wanted to trailer long distance to the coast frequently. The Marlin looks to be the perfect choice for me with the Yammy 300's.
1714995021330.png

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ditto what Fishtales said. I have an 07'

georgemjr

Reaction score
Rodckandtroll, you aren't overthinking, but it isn't a deal changer. You are correct though. One thing I did notice when I went from the 330 express to the Marlin was that there is a decent amount of clutter in your line of site around the starboard corner of the windshield between all of the things you mentioned, canvas seems, pipework, window aluminum, electronics rigging aluminum pipe to the hardtop. It isn't an insurmountable problem but it did require keeping my head moving back and forth so I could see through that blind spot.

eppem

Reaction score
Went from a 265 to the marlin and it took about 30 minutes to get used to going from the center helm to the starboard. I’m 6 feet, zero visibility issues.

RocknTroll

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for all the advise guys, I was almost going to the Whaler camp as a result of my concerns. Early on I removed Pursuit OS 325 from my list, way more cup holders than rod holders among other things.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That's the cleaner to use. They have a polish that you finish with as well.
Pat's a tall guy so if he is happy and I'm happy I'd say your good from 5'9" to 6'4"!