Vinyl with spots on helm arms

Starfire24ht

Reaction score
It seems I am not the only one with this problem which I have read others have.
Any remedies for fixing this problem? I have read about Pettit Fabric EZ but before I try that I wonder if anybody has any thoughts about this product or some other one. Thank you
arm chair1.JPGarm chair2.JPG

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mold. Start with bleach. Put it on a white rag and let it soak for about 5 - 15 minutes. Mix the bleach about 4:1 with water. I think I also read that someone just removed them and soaked in a bucket with bleach/water.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Agree with Dennis and that will get it clean but there’s a chance it’ll come back.
If you add powdered borax in the mixture when dry the borax that got in deep remains and prevents mold from growing again.

Reactions: PointedRose

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some good info here, both do's and don'ts, on taking care of your vinyl upholstery.

LMorgan

I am a marine upholsterer and have been at it for 25 years....Here are some tips:

"the other thing that works well on those type of stains, is to clean it using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponge. the sponge is an ultra fine material that seems to be able to get into the small spots/grooves better than a standard brush or sponge that is too thick/course to get the micro spots." This is absolutely the WORST thing to clean your seats with. More info below on it.
"Chris, Whoever did that upholstery is good! That is one of the cleanest installs I've seen. Doesn't look like there's a wrinkle anywhere. " This is why you pay a professional and stop doing a lot of the DIY items.

Here is how to take care of marine vinyl:
How To Clean Vinyl Boat Seats & Upholstery
Marine grade vinyl is designed to endure harsh marine conditions, but without proper care and maintenance they will break down much faster. The best way to prolong the look, feel, and longevity of boat seats and other upholstered items is to keep them clean, dry, and out of the long exposure to the sun. Regular application of a UV inhibitor such is highly recommended.Routine Cleaning
  • Hose off or remove any large dirt deposits, leaves, etc.
  • Make a solution of mild soap and water (¼ cup liquid soap to 1 gallon fresh, clean water)
  • Using a clean rag, sponge, or very soft bristle brush, wash upholstery as normal. Try to avoid pooling water into the seams, as this leads to water soaking into the foam and will result in mold
  • Rinse the soap solution off the vinyl using fresh clean water with a light fan spray
  • Wipe the vinyl dry with a soft, clean towel. Allow to sit in the sun if possible to assure complete drying
Deep Cleaning
  • When thoroughly dry, apply a vinyl cleaner, such as 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner, and rub into the vinyl with a soft clean cloth or soft bristled brush. It may seem redundant to clean with mild soap first but that step is necessary to remove sunscreen, sweat residue, dirt and particles so the vinyl cleaner will penetrate the vinyl uninhibited.
  • Remove excess cleaner with a soft cloth.
UV Protection (highly recommended)
  • Use 303 Areospace Protectant. Spray on vinyl completely wetting the surface.
  • Using a soft, dry cloth, wipe until the vinyl is dry. Be sure to absorb all excess protectant by wiping and polishing until completely dry. This will provide a finish coating that repels stains and provides UV protection.
  • Apply every 3 to 5 weeks for maximum UV protection, if the boat is used with great frequency or is left uncovered in the weather
  • Highly recommended to prolong the life of your boat seats and marine upholstery. Follow label directions.
Mold Stains & Full Renewal
  • Magic Eraser often works quite well at removing stains from the surface of marine vinyl, but use of this product will remove the protective coating on the vinyl and will expedite the decay process as it is a micro-fine polisher. I highly recommend to AVOID the use of Magic Eraser products.
  • Mix a solution of IOSSO Mold & Mildew Stain Remover, Star-Brite mildew remover (or similar product) per instructions.
  • Wet the area with the mixture then let soak for about 5-10 min.
  • Scrub the area with a sponge or soft cloth. For stubborn stains, add ¼ cup Clorox bleach to the soap/water mixture. Having the vinyl warm from the sun may help in removing stubborn stains. Spot treatment of staining may be done with spray Clorox Clean-Up. Make sure if sprayed on stitched areas that they are rinsed well with fresh, clean water.
  • Grease, petroleum, or oil based stains can be removed with Goo Gone (citrus based cleaner)…DO NOT use Goof Off, which is an acetone based cleaner!
Do
  • Use mild and specialized cleaners such as – Dreft Laundry Soap, IOSSO Stain Remover, Star-Brite cleaner, 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner, 303 Aerospace Protectant.
  • Apply a UV inhibitor regularly to prolong the life and look of your marine vinyl upholstery
  • Clean thoroughly after using the boat. Sweat, sunscreen, and dirt are the major enemies of your interior. The simplest and easiest way to protect your interior during use is to place beach towels or other coverings on the seats while using them. Preventative maintenance is always easier than repair or replacement.
Note: Nothing will clean Sharpie marker and ink stains off of vinyl boat seats and upholstery with any true effectiveness. When the ink penetrates into the vinyl it cannot be removed. The mark may be dulled in color and become a little bit less noticeable by using a solvent but the solvent will permanently damage the vinyl in the process. The only way to fix it is to replace the affected panel in the upholstery
Do Not
  • Do not use harsh cleansers such as- Ammonia, Windex, Simple Green, etc., - while most of these won’t immediately effect the appearance, they slowly break down the vinyl reducing its lifespan.
  • Use a Magic Eraser to remove stains.
  • Use excessive amounts of bleach, especially pool bleach (chlorine), which is 10x the strength of household bleach

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Buy this and spray it on any mold or spots you see through outlet the season. i have 06 boat and visions and gunnel pads look new. i spray caulk and where lever i see mold. works wonders and no bleach. Should not use bleach on a boat if you want your metal to stay bright!

Attachments

• 7A3AB328-9CBA-4411-9C3E-71CBA247D887.jpeg
    7A3AB328-9CBA-4411-9C3E-71CBA247D887.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 13

dbiscayne

Reaction score
gotta agree with the Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover, that stuff really works effortlessly. I've got a canvas top that gets those black mold spots all over it every few months despite treating with marine water proof and uv inhibitors. Just part of storing a boat outside in FL.

Reactions: ItalianAngler

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Isn't Sodium Hypochlorite bleach? I was just checking the ingredients on the Starbrite and it has this chemical, which is the same as my bottle of bleach....?

However, I found this information on the makeup of the bleach being used:
  • BUFFERED-BLEACH TECHNOLOGY is better suited for marine/outdoor upholstery and outdoor acrylic fabrics including Sunbrella; Won't harm stitching or threads
  • More effective cleaning power than unbuffered "bleach-water" based products, or diluted supermarket brands

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
No idea but that stuff works great on mold and doesn’t bleach out colors. I use in my shower too!

rrm9440

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It seems I am not the only one with this problem which I have read others have.
Any remedies for fixing this problem? I have read about Pettit Fabric EZ but before I try that I wonder if anybody has any thoughts about this product or some other one. Thank you
View attachment 22412View attachment 22413
I put hours and hours trying to clean with mixed results. Saw a thread somewhere to put a size 9 women's white ankle sock - bought a pack of 12 for $9 , best thing ever happened. Besides looking nice, they are smooth and don't catch your clothes/arm. Should have come that way from Grady., Replace when dirty, still on my initial install since June 21.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I posted on how to get rid of those spots years ago.

Remove the entire armrest (with the metal bracket attached) and put each arm into a separate dish pan containing 50% fresh bleach with a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. Soak for several days. The spots will eventually disappear.

You can ask Ky Grady how they turned out. He has my old armrests on his boat.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

JAdams1

Reaction score
I did mine around two years ago using Doc Stresser's recipe. Mine were pretty nasty and came out great.

Attachments

• armrest before and after pics.jpg
    armrest before and after pics.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Good tips here. I use Ace siding cleaner. Get at my Ace hardware store in paint department. Use on gelcoat & vinyl. Mix w water and i apply with a car wash mitt

i will try the starbrite to compare

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I posted on how to get rid of those spots years ago.

Remove the entire armrest (with the metal bracket attached) and put each arm into a separate dish pan containing 50% fresh bleach with a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. Soak for several days. The spots will eventually disappear.

You can ask Ky Grady how they turned out. He has my old armrests on his boat.
This will work for discolored white poly seats too.