VRO Tank Low Oil Level Alarm

brutus

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking for some info on testing VRO tank level alarm. I've got twin 1995 Johnson 175's so there is no system check lights, only the horn at the ignition. It's got one oil tank with 2 pick ups. The horns do chirp every time the ignition key is turned on so I have to assume the self-check is okay.
According to the manual, I turned each key to its run position and slowly pumped out the oil. Never got an alarm at 1/4 full or empty. I put the oil back in and slowly raised/removed each pick up and still nothing.
My manual only describes troubleshooting for the Systems Check. I just put new OMS pumps on this spring and they have a 4 wire harness just like the ones I replaced. Wire colors are Tan, Purple, Green & Black.
Can one of these be jumped to prove either the wiring or pick up is at fault? Although I always check and never leave without checking the tank level, I still like any available warning to work.

Great info & discussions on this forum...love it!

Thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are there any wires coming out of VRO tank?

If not, the only alarm will originate from the VRO pump itself when it senses no oil at it's inlet. (notice wires at VRO pump?)
So the feed line would have to be voided not just the tank.

So take off oil ine at VRO pump and see what happens, should get alarm in an instant.

brutus

Reaction score
There are a pair of wires on each pick up at the VRO tank. Alarm legend at the helm says horn should sound every 40 seconds with a low oil condition.
I've read that you could connect a 50:1 mix fuel tank to test the no oil alarm but I don't have a quick disconnect fitting at the engine.
Are you saying take the oil line off at the VRO pump with just the key on or with engine running?

Thanks BobP..

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Then the low level tank alarm, level is not working.

As soon as you have a void in the oil line at VRO pump inlet, a steady alarm should sound. I would have no problem myself doing it while idling but it will sound with engine off as well, key on.

I found this out one day when the check valve in the pickup let the oil back down to make a 1 inch slug in the oil line at VRO pump, each time it started the steady alarm woulkd sound until I sqeezed the oil primer bulb which shut it off.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brutus - I think you are very wise to be verifying that the alarms work. I had a motor a few years ago that did the system check when you turned the key on but when I really needed it, no alarm sounded. Engine just died. Thought I had an e-10-caused fuel problem so I restarted the motor. Died again several seconds later. Dumb-a$$ me restarted again. Threw a rod 2 or 3 seconds later. I actually was out of oil. I had a problem with using a lot more oil than I should have but had not found the cause when this happened.

This was in August and I was able to find a replacement motor and be back on the water in 7 days. However, I was paranoid about running out of oil again. Thanks to some info I got here, I installed an oil tank guage so I can monitor the oil level from the helm. New engine continued the high oil use and ultimately we mostly cured the problem by tightening all the fuel line hose clamps.

Gary 89 Overnighter

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I have a 94 175, but I imagine that it is the same as your 95. If you take the motor hood off and look on the port side below the starter relay you should see the bullet connectors on the black and tan wires coming from the oil tank. Check those connectors, I found mine terribly corroded a few years ago. With the connectors separated, if you put a jumper between the 2 motor side wires, you should get a steady horn with the key on. I'm not sure how to check the sensor itself because it doesn't seem to be a simple switch, it's more like a variable resistance or something. I'm reading 400,000 ohms on mine with oil in the tank. Out of curiosity, I lifted my pick up out this morning and the resistance didn't change and the alarm didn't sound either. I wonder if the oil has to drain off the sensor for several minutes before the alarm will sound. Good luck, I hope you get this figured out and let us know what you find.

brutus

Reaction score
Thanks. I will trace the wires back to the port side like you said. I think I may have seen the wire you're talking about My manual says to ground the tan/yellow wire at the pump connector but I don't have a tan/yellow wire, only tan. Don't want to mess things up at this point...she's ready to fish!!
For now I'm headed to TX for my daughter's graduation from boot camp at Lackland AFB...
Thanks to all again and I'll keep you posted.