Wanted: GPS/Sounder Combo

GLGrady20

Reaction score
I recently bought an '86 204 Overnighter and would like a GPS/Sounder combo since I don't have a bunch of helm space for both. Does anyone that recently upgraded their electronics or looking into upgrading want to sell me their GPS/Sounder unit? I really don't care about manufacturer but would like a good unit. Thanks.

bc282

Reaction score
i know modern electronics are not getting any cheaper these days and hope you find a good unit that serves you well.
Just a note of caution, avoid older stuff especially for chart plotting as things change, new maps and data (nav aids, markers, buoys, etc) are constantly upgraded and important info may be missing on older stuff. I like many are becoming for reliant on electronic charts and but figure i'll keep upgrading every few years to stuff on top.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cramming a FF and a plotter on anything less than 7" is too hard to read. I'd stay away from used electronics for reliability and update reasons. You might be able to get a LCX-25,26, or 37 relatively cheap since the HD models came out. They support NEMA 2000 but the 25+26 will need a plug adaptor to use the new style connectors.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Lowrance unit, as long as it's not a really outdated model. Guys will pull them out to replace, or to sell, and they're still in good shape. Factory backing is outstanding on their products. Do your research on the latest and older models to determine if updated chartpacks are available. If you can find one cheap enough then even if it went out and you had to pay to fix it you shouldn't have too much in it. I got my GPS antenna on ebay for half of the cheapest price I could find for a new one, worked perfectly. Mounted it on foam tape under the windshield. Same for the chart-chip, online for half. Lowrance is not quite as good as Garmin for GPS mapping.

The other issue is the head unit is just the display. You still need a GPS antenna and 'ducer, and a chart chip. But may find one with everything to go with it.

A 5" screen is big enough to display one or the other, but not both. I think that's what Grog was getting at. I have one but only run one or the other at any given time, and back it up with a hand-help Garmin GPSmap-60CS. I'll use the nav-to rose on the handheld and put the chart up on the Lowrance. I'll use the finder when I'm close to shore or for fishing, and it has a temp sender in the transom-mount 'ducer. Very rarely split the screen.

For a smaller boat I think it works out good, and that size will fit in the box or you can flush mount it in place along with your radio.

GLGrady20

Reaction score
You read my mind CJ. I know I won't get a great GPS or a great sounder with a combo uni. And I know screeb size will be rather small if both are on at he same time. I know for my needs a combo unit would be perfect. So if anyone has one or knows someone looking to get rid of one, let me know and I will take a serious look at it.

Barbender

Reaction score
Not sure if your still looking but I have a new in box older Garmin 182 colour combo unit. The boat I bought had one already installed and a second one new just sitting there.