Was the GW 265 Express hull used in any other model ?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Chesapeake is a replacement for the Sailfish (per Grady) and Marlin (per Bob P), check it's displacement and see how close to either model it is. Generator option too just like Marlin.

Too bad the ecomony fell out the bottom.

So, when it returns, if you want a boat like the Sailfish or Marlin, get the Chesapeake or 33X, that's it.

As to fishing boats much different, get a CC in any size you want;
23, 27, 30, 33, etc., and add canvas wings.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Forgot the 30X on cabin models.

I guess I'm partial to Ms. Marlin, the good looking gal she is.

Bassman

Reaction score
Bill_N said:
eppem said:
My understanding is that they stopped making that boat because they weren't selling enough of them. I (like you), own one and love it! Probably the greatest pure fishing boat GW has ever produced? I wonder if enough of us banded together and asked GW if they would consider bringing that design back in bigger boat? Dont all the brochures say how they listen to their customers?

Bring it back as a 28. Add a foot in the cabin and a foot in the cockpit and redesign the electronics box to get it away from the windshield and increase visibility. Raise the foredeck center area for a little more headroom and you'd have it IMO.

X2 Well spoken!

eppem

Reaction score
Dont want to start a new thread but curious, how many 265 express owners are on this site? I know of at least 5 including myself? Might be tough in the dead of winter but anyway to get a headcount?

Bring that boat back as a 28-30, pretty much the same design, hull lights and a generator? What a sick boat! I hate the euro design and keep that cabin as is, (plus an aft berth) no need for a table, etc...how often does one really eat in a cabin? Twin 250's would probably push this boat just fine and keep the price in check (unlike the express 33 with 350s). I will post my feedback from Grady as soon as they get back to me?

By the way this is coming from you in VT where its -2!

A

Anonymous

28 would be perfect. 30 too much. I still would not buy new, not because I am cheap, but you get such a better deal on a few year old boat . It's a downhill ride once it leaves the factory !

Dean265

Reaction score
eppem said:
Dont want to start a new thread but curious, how many 265 express owners are on this site? I know of at least 5 including myself? Might be tough in the dead of winter but anyway to get a headcount?

Bring that boat back as a 28-30, pretty much the same design, hull lights and a generator? What a sick boat! I hate the euro design and keep that cabin as is, (plus an aft berth) no need for a table, etc...how often does one really eat in a cabin? Twin 250's would probably push this boat just fine and keep the price in check (unlike the express 33 with 350s). I will post my feedback from Grady as soon as they get back to me?

By the way this is coming from you in VT where its -2!

eppem,

My 265 is a 2004 and would love to have the upgrade option of a 28 footer. Paired with the new light weight F300s would be perfect!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I bought my 02 265 because I loved the layout. My wife and other friends actually prefers the design in the bow for sunbathing, to the walkaround style of most other boats. When its upgrade time I would love to see this layout in a larger boat. When I was buying my boat 2 years ago. I was told by the grady dealer that the reason why they d/c the 265 was that the price difference with the 265 and the sailfish was small, so most people just went for the larger boat. bigger is better right.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good discussion.
I am a bit puzzled by the model lineup at times but one of the main factors for the 29 replacing the 28 was space for a genny. GW is constantly innovating and responding to customer feedback so there will always be some models which are outliers such as the Atlantic, Tigercats, 265, etc. Some ideas work; some do not. Many lead to new trends such as the GW express line.

I suspect some very interesting discussions take place among the executives. Their closest competitors have gone to express style boats yet many of their customers still have affinity for w/a models. They have embraced the desire for big CCs which has been the focus of new recent models. Pursuit, BW, others have introduced enclosed helm decks but the buzz on the 360 option was been mostly negative. I suspect boat design can be frustrating at times. :?

I don't believe we have a 290 owner here which is likely an indication of where it will fall in popularity. Too bad GW doesn't release sales number by model. I agree with Danny that a w/a built on the 33 hull would be a fine boat. Too big for my marina so a Marlin is my limit. I just hope they continue the model and the next redesign works. GW assures me the Marlin will continue but things can change.

I hope to meet the new dealer staff at the winter boat show and spend some time with the factory folks such as Joey, David, and Kris to see where things are headed. My primary wish for the 300 is a helm deck a/c option. I'll probably be ready for a new one in 3-4 years.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I have an '02 265 with F225's. Love it but sometimes wish there was a little more boat under me when I'm offshore and the cabin space is a bit lacking for anything but an overnighter.

Thinking of moving up to a Marlin in 2 years. I have a wedding to pay for next year.

Bill

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bill_N said:
I have an '02 265 with F225's. Love it but sometimes wish there was a little more boat under me when I'm offshore and the cabin space is a bit lacking for anything but an overnighter.

Thinking of moving up to a Marlin in 2 years. I have a wedding to pay for next year.

Bill

you have prioritization issues. you should see a doctor and get it checked out. :lol:

Bill_N

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
Bill_N said:

Bill

you have prioritization issues. you should see a doctor and get it checked out. :lol:

I don't, but my wife does. It seems prudent to compromise on this one and thank god I only have one daughter.....

eppem

Reaction score
Spoke to GW today

As I stated earlier, the model was discontinued because they just didn't sell enough of them. It proved very popular in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic but not the rest of the country.

It did however jump start the "center helm" concept which morped into the 30, 33 and 36 expresses that we see now.

Customer Service could not have been any nicer, they confirmed that they do listen to their users. If we want to see any changes in the future and a return to this design (in a larger version), then we need to let them know.

What that means is call them like I did or email a note and especially let your dealer and GW reps know at the shows. Voices might be heard!

Anyone at GW that I speak to lights up when you mention the 265, all agree its the best fishing boat they ever built.

Bill_N

Reaction score
It's a little puzzling when you look at their 2010 product line. They don't have a true offshore fishing boat IMO in the mid 20 foot size range. I guess they target fisherman with their CC models.