Washdown broken?

DannysDingy

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So my offshore has a washdown switch at the helm and a socket/ hose adapter the port side rear near the seat/ compartment. It also has a plastic handle looking piece under the 4 rod holders near the rear center livewell/ fish box . Nothing happens when I push the switch. The switch that operated the fish box pump works and it fills fine with water but the washdown Nothing. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to open the plastic valve or something? It seems pretty seized.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Does the motor run? Those pumps don't last all that long. Pop the inspection cover and see if you can hear it run. If it doesn't test to see if you are getting 12v back there.

You can get that valve from Defender Marine. I just replaced mine.

Pumps about $130-$150 and that valve is around $50. Replace all the hoses/clamps if needed.

Fishtales

Reaction score
yes, you need to open the seacock to allow water to flow to the pump. If the pump works, the line will charge. There should be a hose with a nozzle end that you can control the spray;.

Fishtales

Reaction score
oh, and make sure you have power to the pump (breaker I believe).

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So my offshore has a washdown switch at the helm and a socket/ hose adapter the port side rear near the seat/ compartment. It also has a plastic handle looking piece under the 4 rod holders near the rear center livewell/ fish box . Nothing happens when I push the switch. The switch that operated the fish box pump works and it fills fine with water but the washdown Nothing. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to open the plastic valve or something? It seems pretty seized.

Is the seacock open?
Is it clogged with barnacles?
Is there a strainer? Is it clogged?
Does the pump motor run?
Is the breaker/fuse popped?

Newport Grady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My freshwater wash down ran poorly. 16 Year’s old. I pulled it off this winter and rebuilt the pump on the kitchen table in 2 hours. Lot of gunk in there. And a little corrosion. It’s a great project for any rainy day. Should be broken down and cleaned every 5 Year’s or so. All original so no need to replace anything. Just clean your terminals.

You can run 2 wires to any car battery to check it. Mine went from a “dribble “ to 90%+ or bettter.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Those Shurflo baitmasters are a couple hundred, so a clean out isn't a bad option....