washdown pump

wfokas

Reaction score
put my new 2 me 2001 marlin in the water about 2 weeks ago, salt water pump working fine, this weekend went out and nothing!!! tried resetting the breaker on the console(above switch) didnt seemed to be blown? when turning on the switch, it illuminates, any ideas how to test pump? looks fairly new! had it on for some time to aid my livewell, coincedence???thanx in advance.
bill

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my fresh water washdown this weekend..
I suspected a pressure switch.. A few GENTLE taps on the pump got it going intermitantly.. I kept it up until I was able to turn the shower on and off regularly. THe switch was hanging I think due to lack of use..Cyceling it on and off for a while seems to have got it going for now.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
PUMP

Had the same issue w/ mine a couple years ago. Worked on Tues. dead on Wed. Easiest way to test is disconnect and touch directly to battery. Spins, have bad wiring-get nothing, have bad pump.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mechanic at Norfolk MArine told me som crc sprayed on the switch should work in and help lube if that is the problem

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my previous 02 282 every couple of years. If you take it apart you will find that the water is moved by rubber covered impella. I think it was a sureflow pump. I would just take it apart and run it while apart, and then put it back together. Kinda weird, but this procedure would get it working.

I guess I treated the symptom not the problem, but it did save me the cost of replacing the pump....

HMBJack

Reaction score
Most of these pumps seem to crap out after 3 years of use. The less you use it - the more likely they seem to fail. For the salt water pumps (live well and wash down) I wish there was a fitting or something to flush the thing with a garden hose (& fresh water).

Any of you guys do this somehow? I think a good rinse with fresh water might double the life of these pumps.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
check the connections at the pump. they may be corroded i just got mine to work by replaceing the plug for it. as for my freshwater pump im gonna need a very small person to get down there and check the wires... :?

Reel Soon

Reaction score
Had similar problem with both freshwater system and saltwater washdown not working for the past couple of weeks, took the hose off the saltwater washdown and ran it while on plane, all of a sudden the thing works great! I think it just needed to be blown out.
Ran freshwater system while running as it took longer than usual to get prime. Just happy everything is wooking now, glad I procrastinated getting it fixed.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
HMBJack said:
Most of these pumps seem to crap out after 3 years of use. The less you use it - the more likely they seem to fail. For the salt water pumps (live well and wash down) I wish there was a fitting or something to flush the thing with a garden hose (& fresh water).

Any of you guys do this somehow? I think a good rinse with fresh water might double the life of these pumps.

You can fill the livewell with the garden hose with the pump off. As long as you don't have check valves in the lines, enough water will back flow through the pump and out the thru hull pickup to rinse out most of the salt.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Thank-you for the above suggestion.

Makes perfect sense. I'll certainly try that.

I keep my boat on a lift so I'll know the fresh is pushing the salt out. Thanks,