water in fuel question

altouchet

Reaction score
I have discovered water in the fuel on my 208 Adventure. I have been changing the fuel/water seperator about once every two hours, and also draining the engine mounted filter on my Yam F250.
I probably have less than 10 gallons left in the fuel tank. The boat is on the trailer now. Can I elevate the bow and access the fuel by removing the fuel guage sending unit from the tank below the rear deck access hatch, and siphon the remaining fuel out, or should I just disconnect the fuel hose at the primer bulb and try to pump the remaining fuel out,

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Al
2007 208, Yamaha F250

wrxhoon

Reaction score
When I got my 228 seafarer , I parked uphill and removed the fuel sender . I used a syphon hose to empty the tank , she had about 30 gals in . She didn't have much water in the tank, not even a cupfull. once all the fuel was out I wrapped a clean rag on a piece of thick wire and wiped the bottom of the tank . This should work for you.

seasick

Reaction score
If there is less than 40 or so gallons, you can remove the fuel sender and not have fuel spill out. You have to go that route since pumping out using the normal fuel line could leave an inch or so of liquid on the bottom of the tank. Use a mechanical pump to pump from the bottom or a siphon to remove it all. Siphoning is harder to do. You don't have to get all the fuel out just the water at the bottom. Do not raise the bow until you see how much fuel is in the tank. If it is low, you can raise the bow after removing the sender.
Assuming your bilge is normally dry, the water in the gas is either from a bad load of gas or a bad o-ring on the fuel filler cap. The ring is replaceable.
When reinstalling the fuel sender, do not over tighten the screws. Snug and a bit more only